Sporty Spokes - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:03 PM
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftailBilly View Post
Spoke wheels? pain in the a$$ to keep clean .
I hear people say that a lot but its not that bad really. I can clean my spoked wheels AND my white walls in just a few minutes. The hardest part is reaching the rear wheel under the fixed bags. I put the bike on the jack and use a magic eraser on the white walls, then I rinse those and using a microfiber cloth I wipe & dry the rims and reach between the spokes with my fingers as I spin the wheel. I do a circuit on one side then do the other on each wheel in a matter of minutes. The spokes themselves don't usually even need to be wiped.

Its a matter of opinion but in mine they look and hold up a lot better than mag wheels over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naknekpete View Post
I hear people say that a lot but its not that bad really. I can clean my spoked wheels AND my white walls in just a few minutes. The hardest part is reaching the rear wheel under the fixed bags. I put the bike on the jack and use a magic eraser on the white walls, then I rinse those and using a microfiber cloth I wipe & dry the rims and reach between the spokes with my fingers as I spin the wheel. I do a circuit on one side then do the other on each wheel in a matter of minutes. The spokes themselves don't usually even need to be wiped.

Its a matter of opinion but in mine they look and hold up a lot better than mag wheels over time.
Only my front wheel is spoked. Aggravation is handful corrode while rest are just dirty. Have original wheel and half of them corrode at the drop of a hat. Swap wheel out when she's due a tire change. Found wheel and disc on Ebay $50.00 Ride Safe

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftailBilly View Post
Only my front wheel is spoked. Aggravation is handful corrode while rest are just dirty. Have original wheel and half of them corrode at the drop of a hat. Swap wheel out when she's due a tire change. Found wheel and disc on Ebay $50.00 Ride Safe
Get yourself a set of stainless spokes from Buchannan's. I'd probably go with an alloy rim as well if I lived near a coast. When I bent my rim last year, I was surprised at how much rust was on the inner part of the rim! And that was with powdercoat protecting it!

If I ever have to replace the rim again, it will be an alloy rim.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post
Get yourself a set of stainless spokes from Buchannan's. I'd probably go with an alloy rim as well if I lived near a coast. When I bent my rim last year, I was surprised at how much rust was on the inner part of the rim! And that was with powdercoat protecting it!

If I ever have to replace the rim again, it will be an alloy rim.
Yep want to do that. Have no issues with rim inside or out. Fog comes in off ocean has a lot of salt in it. Played hell on rear alloy wheel and the spokes working out at Vandenberg. Hey just a FYI Couple of new start up launch providers coming in. New jobs opening with them and contractor support. Any one is interested.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode