Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dyna Death Machine
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The saga continues with this FXDL. A new FSLRS May soon be in the cards as I’m about to hang this up.

The symptoms are as follows:
  • At any speed, the bike will loses power and run on what seems like 1 cylinder.
  • Twisting on more throttle causes a bogging down of engine
  • Putt putt along for 30 seconds then boom full power
  • Repeat every 60 to 90 seconds
This has been progressively getting worse for 2 or more years. Now it’s just plain dangerous.
I have replaced or serviced the following:
  • Crank position sensor
  • Speedo sensor
  • Battery x 2
  • Rotor
  • Stator
  • Voltage Regulator
  • New battery cables and ground lugs
  • New plug wires
  • New plugs
I just am lost as to the cause of this. It is making me wonder about taking it to an independent shop but I really am not interested in doing that.
Perhaps a fuel delivery issue?

Any ideas are welcome as I’ve exhausted my brain with it (as well as my bank account) and I still have some other stuff to do like fork rebuild and paint to touch up.
Thank you as always you’re inputs is welcome.

John

·
Registered
22,132 Posts
Maybe the fuel pump is failing , or the line from the pump to the petcock has a leak.
Or maybe the fuel filter is clogged, look inside the gas tank for peeling paint.

·
Retired citizen
23,098 Posts
This is a carb bike correct ? '02 Low Rider ?
Like c'mon man who's doing all these repairs ?
Maybe try pulling up the codes to diagnose the problem. The procedure is a DTC sticky in the electrical section.
Post back with the DTCs.

·
Dyna Death Machine
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there Schmidty!!
Carbed for sure sir. I am doing these repairs as time permits. Most of them, as you know, are essentially common wear and tear items on the old 18-year-old bike. I will pull the codes to see what the heck is going on with this mess. Good to see you on here as I've been concerned about the regular crew here during the "Pandemic" mess.

I'll get back to this thread in a bit with the codes.

John

·
Retired citizen
23,098 Posts
If this is a fuel issue there probably won't be stored codes.
It could be a plugged tank vent, try cracking open the filler cap when the engine acts up.
Also disconnect the fuel hose at the carb to see if there's good fuel flow. You'll need to apply some lip suction to the petcock vacuum hose to get it to flow fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The saga continues with this FXDL. A new FSLRS May soon be in the cards as I’m about to hang this up.

• At any speed, the bike will loses power and run on what seems like 1 cylinder.
This has been progressively getting worse for 2 or more years. Now it’s just plain dangerous.
  • Crank position sensor
  • Speedo sensor
  • Battery x 2
  • Rotor
  • Stator
  • Voltage Regulator
  • New plug wires
  • New plugs
I just am lost as to the cause of this. It is making me wonder about taking it to an independent shop but I really am not interested in doing that.

Any ideas are welcome as I’ve exhausted my brain with it (as well as my bank account) and I still have some other stuff to do like fork rebuild and paint to touch up.

John
Possibly a fuel pump or n

·
Registered
15 Posts
Based on your description of the problems the very first thing I thought of was fuel. You've spent a lot of money throwing parts at this without any success and I have to wonder why you haven't consulted a real mechanic before now. I like to do my own work too but 2 years?? We get tunnel vision when we think we know what the problem is and I hope you finally get this taken care of with some legit input. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts

• Crank position sensor
  • Speedo sensor
  • Battery x 2
  • Rotor
  • Stator
  • Voltage Regulator
  • New plug wires
  • New plugs

John
check vacuum hose to fuel shut off valve or better yet just replace it and the pull the bowl off the valve and clean it out,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts