Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 FLH Classic with front and rear air shocks.
I have been told a few things about them and I have a question about airing them up.

Was told..."don't use an air compressor. You hafta use a hand pump or else you could blow out yer air bags"

I understand the concept...no issue there. but could I regulate my air supply down (home comp. air system) to about 10 lbs and juice them up ? Or do I hafta really use a hand pump like from a bicycle or the like to air'em up?

What do others do?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Yes you could do that, regulate to what ever pressure yoiu want to attain. but not something you would easily do out on the road. Unfortuneatly HD sells a rather handy pump for a goodly sum which is ideal. it stays in my bags all the time. It's a good idea to check em when your on the road. or maybe the old lady gets tired of your crap and flies home. Gotta redo the ride

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the "on the road deal" fer sure.
And I woulda expected the "goodly sum" direct from harley. lol

Thanks.

Since it's winter and I cannot ride much anyway I figured I would ask before risking some kinda damage being relatively ignorant to this air-ride system.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I think the HD system could stand some abuse If I got in trouble I wouldnt hesitate to pull over to a 25 cent air machine, no vast amounts of uncontrolled air coming out of those. even a little twelve volt emergency tire pump, then a low pressure tire gauge to quantify your PSI. But straight up the little pump that HD offers is well made, not likely to fall apart handy/easy to use so in fairness it's probably worth the bucks

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
$35 I believe or $70 in England guess where I bought mine ? I've seen a RK with the air pipes blown out because some one tried to use a compressor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My two cents....

Hi,
Got the Harley pump. Works well, built well, has a purge button, and fits in the bags easily. It is a bit costly but then again, so is replacing the shocks! I suggest you spring for the harley pump. Why take a chance? It makes no sence.

Oh and by the way, you will not likely get the small increments of pressure needed with most air sources. And something else, the schrader valve tends to spit oil if you use an object to purge air. The Harley pump has a purge button built in so you dont make a mess...

My two cents...

Ed

·
Registered
52 Posts
All,
I went on good old e-bay and bought a good quality mountain bike suspension pump. It has the guage and the slow release valve for about $20 (£10 in the UK).
I always check it with my digital tyre guage as well but it works a treat.

Rowle.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
If only the exchange rate was $2 to £1, Ibought Euros this morning 1.1382 to the £. $1.47 to £1

·
Registered
83 Posts
New air shocks are about $275.00. I'd buy the pump. You will soon find out that H-D stands for hundred dollars. Most everything will cost at least a hundred bucks. I own 3 harleys, so I know this first hand. Hell 35 bucks, it will prob. be the cheapest part you'll ever buy. P.S. Don't forget about Murphy's Law, Anything that can will !!

·
Registered
40,762 Posts
You will soon find out that H-D stands for hundred dollars. Most everything will cost at least a hundred bucks.
LoL, last time I went to the Harley shop about a year ago for my bike I needed an electrical connector to replace the one I buggered up for my turnsignals. I was thinking about changing out my tank badges on my '05 NightTrain to the the older looking ones on the newer Trains (aint that confusing?) like on the 06+ models. Got the price on the tank badges, and they wanted $85 each for them!

I said Nah, I'll just keep what I got. And got out of there for about $1 for the connector. The guy next to me at the parts counter said "I'll have whatever he got, I don't care what it was."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts