Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding to work and everything worked fine. When i got to work the fuse blew for my neutral light, oil light, tachometer, and my fuel gauge. I went to Autozone got another fuse and it was fixed. Next day the same thing happened and not everytime I put a fuse in while its in neutral it blows. When its in gear it doesn’t blow the fuse but once i shift it into neutral it blows. Looked for punched wires cant find any. Any help?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Unplug the connectors for the fuel level sender, tachometer.

Reconnect the connectors one at a time, see which is causing the fuse to blow.

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unplug the connectors for the fuel level sender, tachometer.

Reconnect the connectors one at a time, see which is causing the fuse to blow.
So i called harley and they were clueless, i called a local custom bike shop and the guy had me unplug my neutral switch. After I unplugged my neutral switch everything worked perfectly fine. At the moment I do not have a neutral light but hopefully the new neutral switch that I bought will fix the issue!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The neutral switch will not cause a short, it is in the ground side of the circuit, after the load (the bulb).

If the neutral switch shorted to ground, it would simply illuminate the bulb, it would not blow the fuse.

I suspect one of the other components on that circuit is faulty, drawing too much current, but not enough to blow the fuse, but when the neutral switch completes the circuit for the neutral light, the total amperage draw is too high, and it blows the fuse.

Why don`t you try disconnecting the components as I suggested (it won`t cost you a penny), before you start buying parts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts