Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Ok, just need some opinions. My father in law passed away a bit more than a year ago. I have inherited his 02 Classic, but also have my own 06 Ultra.

My bike- ugly but not seen a lot green metallic paint, just flipped 44K, with a Hog tunes upgrade coming. Still in great shape, and love it.

His bike- Better looking black paint, 5 spd instead of my 6, FI, but just front speakers, and only 12K miles. Runs great.

I am wrestling with the possibility of keeping it, since the miles are much lower, but like the sound system of my Ultra, and like the 6spd. However, I do not get to take super long trips, and prefer the highway to the freeway. Very rarely use the cruise, and I know I can upgrade the radio. He was very into chrome, me, not quite as much. Part of me likes the idea of a 12K bike, with the chance to do some mods to make it "mine", while keeping his baby in the family, but part of me says keep my 06, which has sorta became "my" baby.

Anyone have any long term problems with the 02s, or input? The wife will go either way, and is cool with whatever I decide.

What a tough issue, huh??

Dig

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Keep them both if that option is on the table.

My brothers 02 EG Standard just flipped 80,000 no problems ever. Box stock motor other than the cam chest and an oil cooler. He does take his motorcycle maintenance seriously, far as anyone can tell that bike will roll the next 80,000 with the same reliability.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
What kind of six speed did you put in your 2006?

Also, the cam chest issues seem to be more prevelent in the earlier TCs.

Otherwise is it essentially the same bike. Just pick whichever you like.

I'd probably keep them both if I didn't owe money anywhere.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys- I have the first year 6spd, totally factory. I have not had the 02 on the freeway yet, but am hoping this week to. I do owe a few thousand more on my 06, and keeping the 02 would free up that $$$, and who couldn't use a few more $$$?

What is the cam chest issue?

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I would keep em both even with the few $$$ owed on the 06. you were comfy in that and now you have another bike. there are many fun ways to enjoy both.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Thanks guys- I have the first year 6spd, totally factory. I have not had the 02 on the freeway yet, but am hoping this week to. I do owe a few thousand more on my 06, and keeping the 02 would free up that $$$, and who couldn't use a few more $$$?

What is the cam chest issue?
First year for factory 6-speed on all the Touring bikes and Softails was 2007. Only the Dyna had the 6-speed in 2006. 2007 was also the first year for the 96" motor. If you bike is an '07, I'd keep it over the 2002 for sure.

The Twin Cam motor uses chains to drive the two cams off the crank. The early 88" TC were known to have problems with the spring tensioners on these cam chains. They would wear through the shoe on the tensioner. It can force a complete, split-the-cases build if not addressed. The bikes up through 2003 or so sometimes would have issues as early as 15-20K miles (or sooner in extreme cases)

The 2004-06 88" motors seem to have less issues with premature wear of the tensioners.

The 2007 changes also included a change in the design of these tensioners. At that time, MoCo went with a hydraulic tensioner on the 96" motor. That design is current even on the 103" 2013 bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool Chasarms, I have a load of egg of my mug. My bike is indeed an 07, had to look up my registration for it. Feel like a dolt. I didn't realize the chest issue was the same thing as the cam tensioners. I had heard of that, but didnt realize exactly what the issue was. Thanks for the explanation. That will probably have me keeping my 07. I didn't exactly come clean on the whole deal either, I also have his 96 Softtail too. My garage went from my bike, my truck, and my wife's SUV to 3 HDs, a Polaris quad, and a PWC. Like they say... the ones with the most toys wins.

The 96 Softtail, 26K on it, and the first carbed HD I have ridden. Gotta admit, the idle sound is great. Sorta just sits there and lopes. Any huge issues you know about with it, or should I post over in the Softail forum?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . .
The 96 Softtail, 26K on it, and the first carbed HD I have ridden. Gotta admit, the idle sound is great. Sorta just sits there and lopes. Any huge issues you know about with it, or should I post over in the Softail forum? . . .
Never owned an Evo, but most all say the are VERY solid motors. That bike is probably a tank.

Just don't turn the idle down super low. It'll starve for oil at idle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
game changer!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you sell the 02;
Pay off the 07?
Money for mods to the 07?
The Softail?

Softails are fun bikes to hot rod.
Those EVO motors are solid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I am sure in a pickle. I can even make it a bit more laughable. My father in law actually bought the softtail from my next door neighbor, who heard it the other day and knew which bike it was.

I think with the advice you guys have given me, I am leaning towards keeping my 07. I have a Hogtunes amp and speaker upgrades waiting on a rainy day. The 02 can sell, and I may end up keeping the Softtail. The more I ride it, the more it feels like the bike to enjoy quick trips in the wind, and let the Ultra run on colder or longer days. Plus, the boys get to actually put their hands on something Grandpa loved.

I appreciate all the help....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts