Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. new guy here..... I'm planning on replacing the cam plate on my 02 Fatboy with a Screamin Eagle updated hydraulic tensioner plate. The 25284-11 kit. I see there are 3 other kits you need with it.. No surprise. But, while I'm in there, I might as well change the cams also. Right now all that's done is the high flow intake, Supertrapp Mean Mothers pipes, and a DynoJet Power Commander with the stage 1 map in it. I don't want to change the heads and/or the valve springs right now. So..My question is.... What is a good cam set for this setup? The dealer picked out a set of SE cams that look to be a step up from stock(but I don't recall the number). Andrews and S&S have a few sets... What have you experienced? What is the best bang for the buck out there?

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
S&S 509's are great in a pre 05 88 , they also have a complete gear drive conversion kit including cams for a little more than the HD SE cam plate kit , you need a crank run out of less than .003 to go gear drive but 02 had the better crank steel and main bearings so odd's are in your favor. Don't forget to upgrade the inner cam bearings while your in there less than $25 but more than worth it,they may be included in the S&S kit .

I want to say the whole gear drive kit with cams is under $800 on ebay , the chain drive kit with cams is under $400 on ebay.

You could also contact one of our members ( Hillside Cycles ) and Scott can fix you up with alternative solutions using what you have plus new cams.

Hillside Motorcycle

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I go with the S&S 509G set, I'm going to have to take everything apart and measure the crank run out before I go ordering a cam set. Correct? It looks like that set comes with bearings, fasteners, and gaskets...I want to replace the bearings anyhow...
I like the idea of the SE cam plate and oil pump because of the increased oil volume through the engine. Can I just change the oil pump if I keep the stock cam plate and go with the gear drive cams?

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
If I go with the S&S 509G set, I'm going to have to take everything apart and measure the crank run out before I go ordering a cam set. Correct? It looks like that set comes with bearings, fasteners, and gaskets...I want to replace the bearings anyhow...
I like the idea of the SE cam plate and oil pump because of the increased oil volume through the engine. Can I just change the oil pump if I keep the stock cam plate and go with the gear drive cams?
Sure you can still go with a different oil pump , most engine builders will tell you it's not needed though, I had a hard time with this but if the pro's who build them for a living tell me I'm wasting my money then why spend the extra 4 or 5 bills ?

I've seen run out measured at the end of the crankshaft with the cam plate installed , and also farther back with the cam plate removed , but yes you need to know your run out spec before you order a gear drive kit.

I would highly recommend you give Scott at Hillside a call before you buy any parts though.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I will give him a call tomorrow afternoon. See what he has to say. And go from there.
He might say "gone fishing". If it takes him a day or so to get back to you he took a fishing trip over the weekend.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What I don't get is if the run out is more than .003" aren't there gears that allow extra clearance for that? Should the cam plate be installed or not while measuring?

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
What I don't get is if the run out is more than .003" aren't there gears that allow extra clearance for that? Should the cam plate be installed or not while measuring?

check the run out with the plate off.if your over .003,your taking a chance of more than noise,we`ve seen teeth broke off the gears.i would personally do a slight bump in compression and use S&S .570 cams.if your going thru the time & $$,you might as well do something your going to feel

·
Registered
671 Posts
Cam choices are dependent on the type of riding you are doing...mild to wild is out there...I wanted to have low speed drivability around town without the heavy herk & jerk lope of high lift cams and the ability to easily maneuver any highway situation without the added expense of headwork etc. These air cooled engines love to be modified but you have to take into consideration that the more radical you go increases heat & wear, reduces engine life and, in some cases, reliability. I opted for the SE 204's that come to life around 3000 rpm's. You can always go light then see how you like the performance...if not what you expected, move up from there. You can always sell performance cams...they're in demand...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The .509's are a great plug/play cam as are Andrews 21's in an 88' engine.
The BEST all-time cam-only cam upgrade that we witnessed was the Crane 300-2B, but unfortunately, no longer available.
Scott

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
not sure why they didn't carry the crane 300-2b over when S&S bought crane.i agree,very nice for a "cam only" build

1 - 15 of 15 Posts