Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've beat myself round and round, read until I can't stand it anymore. I have V&H slip on with factory true duals.

I want a free flow air cleaner and that is all. No motor, Jugs, Cams, or anything else. If I feel the need for more power ill get a newer Ultra with the 103. Do I get a tuner or do the stage one download? Is it possible for someone to tune it without me buying a tuner?

Thanks Chaplain William. TNSG

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The stage 1 DL is good enough but just barely. It will still have the bike running as lean as it did stock which is too lean for ideal performance and heat management. That said, I'm certain that you will hear from many who have the S1 DL and are quite happy with the way the bike runs, and perhaps you'll be another one.

There is no way to otherwise tune it without a tuner of some sort. Some of them will rewrite a new fuel management map to your ECM. Others stay attached to the bike permanently and and "reinterpret" the ECM data on the fly to manipulate the fuel control.

Of course you say you have no interest in doing anything else, but you never know. Let's say, for example, something failed in the motor and it had to come apart anyway. Are you CERTAIN you'd replace every part with stock?

At least a tuner leaves you with options down the road.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The stage 1 DL is good enough but just barely. It will still have the bike running as lean as it did stock which is too lean for ideal performance and heat management. That said, I'm certain that you will hear from many who have the S1 DL and are quite happy with the way the bike runs, and perhaps you'll be another one.

There is no way to otherwise tune it without a tuner of some sort. Some of them will rewrite a new fuel management map to your ECM. Others stay attached to the bike permanently and and "reinterpret" the ECM data on the fly to manipulate the fuel control.

Of course you say you have no interest in doing anything else, but you never know. Let's say, for example, something failed in the motor and it had to come apart anyway. Are you CERTAIN you'd replace every part with stock?

At least a tuner leaves you with options down the road.
Agreed.

I use a power vision tuner from fuel moto. Fuel moto gave me the tune I needed. They will also update the tune for future upgrades.

I've done all 3. I think the stage 1 download is a waste of money. I used a v&h fuelpac. It worked well. The fuelpac only adjust the fuel a tuner adjust fuel and timing. IMO the download tuners are worth the extra $.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
there is a lot to be said for the CVT fi2000
I am quite hapy with mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts