Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I need some help! I have an 02 Softail (carbureted) that is getting no spark. The bike ran great, I parked it for two months (at most), went to go start it up and was getting no spark. Just cranks.

I have:
  • checked spark with an inline spark tester (no spark)
  • All the fuses are good
  • Replaced ignition switch
  • checked battery cables
  • Checked/replaced the coil (ohms are good)
  • 12v going to the coil
  • checked/replaced the crank position sensor (ohms are good)
  • replaced spark plugs
  • No check engine light
  • All the dash codes are clear (d01Clr and so on)
  • I checked for codes by jumping pins 1 and 2 on the plug under the seat and it gave me 44 (44 Current 35 Tachometer?)
  • I bought the bike used and never got a key fob with it. (I figured the bike wouldn't even crank if it needed a fob)
  • No sign or rodents near the bike or even in the garage that its parked in.

Could the ECM have just went out like that? Is there a way to test the ECM? My friend has an 01 Softail, can I throw his ECM in my bike to see if that's the issue? Can I buy a used ECM off of eBay or will I need to get a new one from Harley?

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
Low battery volts. A fully charged battery will measure 12.8v +.
A low battery will turn the starter over but not have enough reserve to trigger the ignition. Check the voltage drop across the battery terminals while cranking the starter. Less than 10 volts and the coil will fail to discharge, no spark.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A low battery will turn the starter over but not have enough reserve to trigger the ignition. Check the voltage drop across the battery terminals while cranking the starter. Less than 10 volts and the coil will fail to discharge, no spark.
I will check that today, thank you!

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just checked that.I am getting 12.6v and 10.7v when cranking. Any other ideas?

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
The 'no check engine light' indicates the ICM hasn't fully booted. You can swap your friend's ICM with yours as long as both bikes are carbed and no security systems. I would turn the engine over with the spark tester in series and just long enough to verify spark. Also watch for the engine light with key on.
Did you test the fuses or just eyeball them, power to all fuses with key on ?

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 'no check engine light' indicates the ICM hasn't fully booted. You can swap your friend's ICM with yours as long as both bikes are carbed and no security systems. I would turn the engine over with the spark tester in series and just long enough to verify spark. Also watch for the engine light with key on.
I checked all of the fuses with a tester. Made sure they all had continuity. I guess my bike does have a security system because there is a red key light on (I think this always went away after startup). I bought the bike used and never received a key fob.. I also never needed it. With that being said, does this mean I cant just throw my friends ICM in?

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
Security TSSM are married with the ICM. The TSSM for your bike is 68923-00D, you'll need to pop the unit out of the holder to verify the p/n and that your bike indeed has security.

• Helpful

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Security TSSM are married with the ICM. The TSSM for your bike is 68923-00D, you'll need to pop the unit out of the holder to verify the p/n and that your bike indeed has security.
So if it does have security does that mean the only choice I have is to take it to Harley and have them install a new ICM and TSSM (if the ICM is bad) or just a TSSM if that's what's bad? Is this now beyond something that I am able to fix myself at this point?

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
So if it does have security does that mean the only choice I have is to take it to Harley and have them install a new ICM and TSSM (if the ICM is bad) or just a TSSM if that's what's bad? Is this now beyond something that I am able to fix myself at this point?
Did you verify the part number on the TSSM ? Gotta make sure it actually does have security. You should also verify the harness connector is plugged securely into the module.
Also you stated you found some codes so the speedo is functioning, correct ?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you verify the part number on the TSSM ? Gotta make sure it actually does have security. You should also verify the harness connector is plugged securely into the module.
Also you stated you found some codes so the speedo is functioning, correct ?
I will pull the TSSM tonight and check the number. I know its plugged in securely because I actually took it out the other day and out it back in. Yes, everything on the "dash" is lighting up. I jumpered the two prongs on the plug you use to check codes and the check engine light came on and blinked 4 times and then 4 more. so code 44... Ill try to attach a video.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will pull the TSSM tonight and check the number. I know its plugged in securely because I actually took it out the other day and out it back in. Yes, everything on the "dash" is lighting up. I jumpered the two prongs on the plug you use to check codes and the check engine light came on and blinked 4 times and then 4 more. so code 44... Ill try to attach a video.
I guess you can not attached videos on here. So when I turn the bike on like normal I get no check engine light. When I jumper pins 1 and 2 on the plug that is under the seat (I think this is the plug that you plug into to read codes at Harley) the check engine light comes on and flashes 4 times consistently and then 4 times again. I gathered from doing research that this means code 44. And that is the only code it is giving me. I am seeing that this is "44 Current 35 Tachometer"? I can post the clip I have on my youtube and link it if that helps.

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
Try this if your speedo trip window functions, hold the trip button in while turning the ignition switch on, hold the button in until info appears in the trip window. You should then be able to toggle the trip button thru diagnostics.

• Helpful

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
I guess you can not attached videos on here. So when I turn the bike on like normal I get no check engine light. When I jumper pins 1 and 2 on the plug that is under the seat (I think this is the plug that you plug into to read codes at Harley) the check engine light comes on and flashes 4 times consistently and then 4 times again. I gathered from doing research that this means code 44. And that is the only code it is giving me. I am seeing that this is "44 Current 35 Tachometer"? I can post the clip I have on my youtube and link it if that helps.
At least we now know the engine light functions. Does the red key light go off ?

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
Yes i did this. All the codes came up as clear
OK but that ain't a biggie because those are only codes related to speedo functions, not ECM or TSSM errors. Note that the carbed bikes have diminished on board diagnostics compared to the EFI bikes that have ECM electronics.

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
What's needed now is for you to turn the ignition switch on and see the engine light comes on briefly then off with no red key symbol. Need to verify if your Softail has security or not for continued diagnostics.
In a nut shell we need to know if your bike has a TSM or a TSSM. If it has a TSSM you'll need to purchase a new pushbutton FOB and program it to your bike, the instructions are here in the electrical section.

• Helpful

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's needed now is for you to turn the ignition switch on and see the engine light comes on briefly then off with no red key symbol. Need to verify if your Softail has security or not for continued diagnostics.
In a nut shell we need to know if your bike has a TSM or a TSSM. If it has a TSSM you'll need to purchase a new pushbutton FOB and program it to your bike, the instructions are here in the electrical section.
When I turn the ignition switch on the check engine light and key come on then they both turn off. Then the key light comes back on and stays on. I attached a picture of the TSSM

Attachments

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
68923-00 indicates a security (TSSM) module. It appears your bike has gone into security mode, not sure why that happened. Maybe the battery drained while the bike sat for those couple months ? The only way to get the bike out of security mode is to get a new FOB and program it to your bike's system or replace the security system with a TSM and new ICM and program (marry) them together. I'm pretty sure most of those components are obsolete. o_O

• Wow

· Retired citizen
26,699 Posts
There is another option, you can transport your bike to a Harley Dealership and have the service dept connect their Digital Tech shop computer to run some diagnostics to determine the cause of the failure.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
68923-00 indicates a security (TSSM) module. It appears your bike has gone into security mode, not sure why that happened. Maybe the battery drained while the bike sat for those couple months ? The only way to get the bike out of security mode is to get a new FOB and program it to your bike's system or replace the security system with a TSM and new ICM and program (marry) them together. I'm pretty sure most of those components are obsolete. o_O
Hmmm, that sounds fun! I guess I’ll work on getting a fob. You said the procedure to pair a new one is on this website? I’m new to these forum pages lol

1 - 20 of 105 Posts