Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
Hmmm, that sounds fun! I guess I’ll work on getting a fob. You said the procedure to pair a new one is on this website? I’m new to these forum pages lol
In the Technical electrical section, just read down the list to the post that refers to FOBs. Assigning a new FOB.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There is another option, you can transport your bike to a Harley Dealership and have the service dept connect their Digital Tech shop computer to run some diagnostics to determine the cause of the failure.
I guess this would probably be the best first option
10.7 volts on a battery while trying to start the bike sounds like a bad battery. Put a charger on it overnight and see what it does.
ill throw the battery on it and see if it gets any higher. Thanks for the input!
In the Technical electrical section, just read down the list to the post that refers to FOBs. Assigning a new FOB.
Okay, I guess ill work on finding a key fob. I assume I cant just get any Harley fob. Here one I found on ebay...

Attachments

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
I guess this would probably be the best first option

ill throw the battery on it and see if it gets any higher. Thanks for the input!

Okay, I guess ill work on finding a key fob. I assume I cant just get any Harley fob. Here one I found on ebay...
A used FOB has been programmed with a different bike, I'm not sure it can be re-programmed to a different bike.
The instructions outline programming a NEW FOB not a used FOB. FOB p/n is 68926-00*

Reactions: JLR

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A used FOB has been programmed with a different bike, I'm not sure it can be re-programmed to a different bike.
The instructions outline programming a NEW FOB not a used FOB. FOB p/n is 68926-00*
Okay, I was wondering about that. I’ll work on finding a new one. I’ll call Harley and see if I can get one from them. Thank you sir!

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
There's one thing that's not mentioned in the instructions and I don't recall if the security system needs to be off to assign a new FOB. Then it would need a trip to the dealer but either way a new FOB will be needed.
It would be interesting to know why your bike got into the security mode.
Have you searched over your bike to verify the FOB isn't hidden someplace ? If it is and the FOB battery went dead that may have set the security system and could explain the red key light. I would check the bike over with a fine tooth comb.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There's one thing that's not mentioned in the instructions and I don't recall if the security system needs to be off to assign a new FOB. Then it would need a trip to the dealer but either way a new FOB will be needed.
It would be interesting to know why your bike got into the security mode.
Have you searched over your bike to verify the FOB isn't hidden someplace ? If it is and the FOB battery went dead that may have set the security system and could explain the red key light. I would check the bike over with a fine tooth comb.
The guy I bought it from said he lost the fob but he said he never needed it. I am thinking maybe the battery got low on voltage. When I was trying to start up the bike originally it died pretty quick from cranking it and i had to try and jump it. So that is probably the reason.

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
The guy I bought it from said he lost the fob but he said he never needed it. I am thinking maybe the battery got low on voltage. When I was trying to start up the bike originally it died pretty quick from cranking it and i had to try and jump it. So that is probably the reason.
In that case you'll need a new FOB programmed to your security system. But you might need a trip to the H-D dealer to get things setup on their shop computer. I'm thinking the security system needs to be off prior to programming the new FOB. Find a new FOB and go from there, I'll be looking for ya too. Looks to be an obsolete p/n but could still be available. If ya get one new battery for it right away.
The Harley security system is very secure for a reason and not simple to defeat.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In that case you'll need a new FOB programmed to your security system. But you might need a trip to the H-D dealer to get things setup on their shop computer. I'm thinking the security system needs to be off prior to programming the new FOB. Find a new FOB and go from there, I'll be looking for ya too. Looks to be an obsolete p/n but could still be available. If ya get one new battery for it right away.
The Harley security system is very secure for a reason and not simple to defeat.
I just found a new one still in the package on ebay. I went ahead and ordered it. I called harley and they said I should be able to program it myself. So once that comes in ill go from there and keep you updated. Thank you for all the time you have put in helping me!

· Registered
2004 fatboy, 2014 SGS and 2019 heritage
262 Posts
If it was FOB related why would the voltage on the battery drop to 10.7 volts when the starter button was engaged, I would think no power would be used when the starter button was pressed if the bike needed the FOB and it wasn't present.

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
Be careful ! Read all the instructions. It ain't that easy ! Ya just can't go out and buy a part to defeat the Harley security system. That FOB needs to be programmed to your security system that appears to be active right now. Your bike is trying to not be stolen right now. I know these systems and I'm betting on your bike !

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Be careful ! Read all the instructions. It ain't that easy ! Ya just can't go out and buy a part to defeat the Harley security system. That FOB needs to be programmed to your security system that appears to be active right now. Your bike is trying to not be stolen right now. I know these systems and I'm betting on your bike !
Okay, I will be very thorough with it. If for some reason I can not get it then I will take it to my local harley dealer and have them do it

· Registered
178 Posts
Isn't there a process that you can go thru to bypass the security system? I know I have to go thru some turn signal presses and such if I lose my fob or it goes dead. I was also able to program in my own numeric code for disabling the security system. It will let you start the bike but if you turn it off, you have to go thru the same process again. Also, if the former owner didn't assign a custom code number, I think I found a video on youtube some yrs ago on doing it with a factory default code.

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
Isn't there a process that you can go thru to bypass the security system? I know I have to go thru some turn signal presses and such if I lose my fob or it goes dead. I was also able to program in my own numeric code for disabling the security system. It will let you start the bike but if you turn it off, you have to go thru the same process again. Also, if the former owner didn't assign a custom code number, I think I found a video on youtube some yrs ago on doing it with a factory default code.
No, with no FOB and no pin you ain't getting in !

· Registered
178 Posts
No, with no FOB and no pin you ain't getting in !
I know you need the pin. My fob battery went dead a few yrs ago on my 09' ultra. I was able to find a video that showed me how to bypass my alarm using the factory default pin. I was lucky as the former owner of my bike had never changed the factory pin number. I was able to bypass the system and start my bike without my fob. Since then, I have changed the pin and wrote down the steps for bypassing the security system. I keep it on me now. "IF" the factory default pin has not been changed, you can bypass without the fob. The harley default is 31313

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
I'm confused about this factory default pin you mention. The security system gets setup during new vehicle setup, the ECM gets programmed at the dealerships ! Many dealers in the Milwaukee area used the last 5 digits of their shop phone numbers to set the security systems up and test them.
Some of the dealer setup procedures may have changed by now as some years have slipped by and the MoCo probably integrated the Digital Tech shop computer more into the new vehicle procedures. On the other hand some things don't change by rule. C'mon, what's that 'rule' ?

Reactions: bsshog40

· Registered
178 Posts
I've never heard of mechanics putting in their preferred pin number. From what I understand there is a factory default pin for the system. The default pin is what I used to start my bike. I then found another video that shows you how to change the factory pin to a custom pin of the owners choice. I keep my new pin in case I sell the bike one day and can give it to the new owner. Also, if the factory pin has been changed or a person loses their pin number, you're screwed. I think it has to be reset at a harley shop. Or maybe not.

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
I have a 2014 trike at my shop, next time I'm out there I'm gonna try that 31313 bypass pin. We will see what happens !

Reactions: bsshog40

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
Let's get back to the OP, the bike in question is a 2002 Heritage. The setup procedures change over the years as the MoCo technology progresses. Like I said the MoCo has more likely than not more closely integrated the Digital Tech shop computer into the new vehicle setup procedures by now. That includes adjusting the security systems.
I challenge anybody to dupe a Harley security system, any year ! Post a vid. and win the prize.
Real easy to test that factory default pin, 31313, try it on a buddy's bike !

· Retired citizen
26,662 Posts
On second thought don't go trying pins on anybody's bikes, the wrong pin could lock that bike's security system.
This OP's bike is security locked as we discuss and I doubt 31313 will unlock his bike, he can try it if he wishes.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts