Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this probably redundant but here goes!!.... i have an 02 FLHC w/ TC 88 ..Upgraded to SE203 cams and cam plate. new oil pump new cam tensioners all done at HD dealer. i heard a rattle when cruising at 55mph and up. i have checked all brackets exhaust guards and mounts. it sounds like it is coming from left front of the engine. still has plenty of power. no noise at idle just at cruising speeds. any ideals??? also if i need to rebuild how big can i go without a lot of expensive mill work...........thanks for your patience an experience

·
Retired citizen
22,101 Posts
Check the obvious rattle makers before rebuilding the engine, some of which are: Lower front motor mount, top motor mount behind the horn, jiffy stand frame snubber, floor board mounts, tank mounts, inner fairing support brackets, speaker tweeters, just to mention a few. The other members probably have some more things to add.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks schmidtys.......i have checked everything i could think of but i wool check those again. like i said HD in madison didnot hear anything abnormal so it may just be something small i am overlooking.

·
Maddog
394 Posts
How big can you go?

ok this probably redundant but here goes!!.... i have an 02 FLHC w/ TC 88 ..Upgraded to SE203 cams and cam plate. new oil pump new cam tensioners all done at HD dealer. i heard a rattle when cruising at 55mph and up. i have checked all brackets exhaust guards and mounts. it sounds like it is coming from left front of the engine. still has plenty of power. no noise at idle just at cruising speeds. any ideals??? also if i need to rebuild how big can i go without a lot of expensive mill work...........thanks for your patience an experience
You can go to about 95-96" without too much trouble. Boring
cylinders and fitting O/S pistons.

Some mild port work would give you the biggest bang however.
With stock heads, the difference between 88 and 95 would not
be all that much (maybe 4-5 HP). With head work and a 95" up-
grade, the difference would be very noticable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Common issue is Compensator bolt is loose. Remove outer primary cover remove bolt, inspect some bolts where a tad too long and after the wear on the comp would bottom out and not hold tq , create noise. re install.. Service manual for the tq specs etc.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
If adjustable pushrods were used in the cam swap, chances are that they made need to be re-set, and perhaps loading the lifter a bit more.
How large can you go without crankcase boring? 98".
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts