Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, yesterday I had cruise set around 60 came to a hill and when the bike was pulling the hill engine light came on. Stayed on for a few seconds and went off. I rode around 200 mi yesterday and it came on about 4 times. Everything seems fine. I did a search on here and followed Dave's post about code retrieval and the light comes on , and off then back on then off just like his post says but no flashes for the code. Any info would be helpful. Thanks guys!

·
Retired citizen
22,315 Posts
In the electrical section stickys procedure for code retrieval use the speedo trip button to get the codes displayed in the odometer window rather than using the flash count method.
Hold the trip button in while turning the ignition on then toggle through the DTC sections.
The engine light coming on occasionally indicates stored historic codes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I had already tried that also and all it shows is d01CLr thru d10CLr so I really have no clue what's up. Thanks for the reply .

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I think the odometer method is only for 2004 and up. I believe you have to use the flash method for an '03. Not certain though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks , I believe your right about the 03 having to use the flash method. But no flashes so um kinda clueless. Thanks for the reply though.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Thanks , I believe your right about the 03 having to use the flash method. But no flashes so um kinda clueless. Thanks for the reply though.
Did you make a little jumper wire to jump between the pins on the data link? I've never done it, so I am not exactly sure which two you jump, but I know that you have to jump them in order to get the codes using that method.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did, jumped #1 to #2 and it didn't give me any flashes. But when I turn ignition on even without the jumper the light is on 4 seconds off for 6 then back on them goes off and stays off.

·
Retired citizen
22,315 Posts
Yes you're correct, my goof, '03 and earlier only reads speedo codes.
The engine light on after start up could also be TSM/TSSM codes. A Scanalyzer with the special parallel cable or Digital Tech is needed for TSM/TSSM codes.

·
Retired citizen
22,315 Posts
Dang I'm off this morning ! I just went to the electrical stickys and see that Dave posted the TSM code procedure. I've never used that for the TSM codes, easier to connect the Scanalyzer !

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, looks like that's the route I'll have to take. Thanks for the input, maybe I'll get it figured out.

·
Retired citizen
22,315 Posts
Also, H-D sells a code reader for consumers that also clears codes. Costs $149.00 or so. P/N 32312-10

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Schmidty for all the effort you have put into on this. Looks like the reader might be where I'm headed.

·
Retired citizen
22,315 Posts
The reader wouldn't be a bad investment, it works on all Harleys with the 4 pin data link connector. The P&A catalog states for '01 and newer but I'm thinking it should work on all Harleys with the data link back to '95 same as the Scanalyzer.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The Dyno-Jet PowerVision reads codes, and has the added "bonus" of serving as a re-flash tuner.

I know it's $500, but I've never had a problem spending other people's money!! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah , I don't mind spending other peoples money either but when it comes to mine I'm a little tight.lol But thanks I'll check that option also. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Dyno-Jet PowerVision reads codes, and has the added "bonus" of serving as a re-flash tuner.

I know it's $500, but I've never had a problem spending other people's money!! :)
Ok , now a little different question. I have no fuel management system. The only thing other than stock as of now are Vance and Hines slip ons. Would this be a good route to kill two birds with one stone? Are there other units that I could read codes with and serve as fuel management? What else would be needed with this to use as fuel management? I'm still in the learning stage of all this.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Ok , now a little different question. I have no fuel management system. The only thing other than stock as of now are Vance and Hines slip ons. Would this be a good route to kill two birds with one stone? Are there other units that I could read codes with and serve as fuel management? What else would be needed with this to use as fuel management? I'm still in the learning stage of all this.
It would be a good route, but it would be a somewhat pricey one. But, if you do intend to buy a code reader for $150 anyway and see a fuel management device in the future, you might consider the PowerVision.

It is not "needed" for your mods, but it would help the bike by improving the fuel richness. DynoJet even has an "improved stock" map to richen up a bike that is completely stock.

It would be overkill to some extent, but it would have the power to handle anything you might ever do in the future. If you think you'll be keeping the bike for a good while, it doesn't seem completely ridiculous - to me anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok , just an update. I decided to go the HD code reader route. Ordered it today and it should be here next week. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts