Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 electraglide ultraclassic. It has 20000 miles on it. Not sure on the build. But it does have screaming eagle heads.it has so much compression it sometimes blows smoke out from around the engine area while trying to start it then finally it will roll on over and crank after a few attempts. I bought this bike a few months ago. It started ticking a few weeks after riding it and changing the oil with hd synthetic. Note. Changed the oil after I noticed it started to tick. It does it at any rpm and gets extremely loud as more throttle is applied. Not sure if I have tapett failure or simply need to adjust my push rods if they are adjustable. Any advice helpful. :DeadHorse:

·
Registered
43,154 Posts
Sounds like it could be tappets.

Check that out before riding it.
If it is tappets you don't want to loose a roller and causing more damage.

·
Retired citizen
24,534 Posts
Maybe cam bearings or tensioners. On a '03 with 20K they should be checked if that hasn't already been done.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would run a compression test first. Blowing smoke from engine area maybe a head gasket. Then move on to the push rods, lifters and cam chest.

·
Registered
146 Posts
any idea where it's coming from? take a long pipe (about 2 ft) and use it like a stethoscope to figure out where it's coming from. Cam chest, lifters or tensioners. Head area, check your exhaust bolts. pushrods aren't adjustable unless someone's been in the cam chest already. can you screw on an oil pressure gauge? that would eliminate oil pump issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out after pulling everything apart. It is the cam tensioners. Thanks for all you help. Had to replace my hid headlight bulb today also. The don't call them hds for nothing. Everything you do is least h dollars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts