Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody. I'm new to the forum and need some help. I just bought a one owner 04 injected wide glide that had 10k miles on it. The owner said when he bought it he had the Harley dealer put V&H straightshots originals pipes on it (not slip ons). But had nothing else done. Still had factory intake when I bought it. He didnt know if they messed with the fuel mapping or not. Those pipes were WAY too loud for me, so I put on factory exhaust with screamin eagle II mufflers. I also installed a Screamin eagle hi flow intake. Without changing the fuel mapping it seamed to run pretty good with good power and very little decel pop. But I got my hands on a brand new SERT (Screamin Eagle Race Tuner) and found a pre-installed map for the 04 dyna with the exact equipment I have on my bike so I installed that specific map to my bike. Since then it just doesn't seem to have as much power and may have a slight decel pop now and then. Also I see that my pipes are turning a little blue indicating lean running condition. So after all that, my question is has anyone had the same problem, and figured out how to fix it or even figured out a better map to install? That race tuner has a LOT of pre installed maps and every parameter of the bike can be adjusted to any spec on any map but I don't know enough about it and don't want to mess something up here. I will attach the map i installed below.
Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

I installed the top right map. 105HO103. My bike has everything stock except the A/C (air cleaner) and the SE mufflers so I thought that was correct. Thanks in advance for any help.
Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Your pipes turning blue is odd, and maybe a clue. Heat is what turns the chrome blue and would indicate a lean condition but OEM pipes have steel pipes with a chrome heatshield and some space between them. The pipes would have to get serious hot to turn the heatshields blue. If you are back to stock, you really don't need the sert. Try going back to stock configuration and see how that runs. What do the plugs look like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your pipes turning blue is odd, and maybe a clue. Heat is what turns the chrome blue and would indicate a lean condition but OEM pipes have steel pipes with a chrome heatshield and some space between them. The pipes would have to get serious hot to turn the heatshields blue. If you are back to stock, you really don't need the sert. Try going back to stock configuration and see how that runs. What do the plugs look like?
OK. the heat shields are not turning blue, just the pipes under the shields. But, I can tell it was more responsive before I put the model and equipment appropriate map in it from my race tuner. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I think you can figure this out. Ran better before canned map. Go back to stock map.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you can figure this out. Ran better before canned map. Go back to stock map.
Well yeah that would be an obvious option but then that would completely defeat the purchase of a harley race tuner. I know the stock map is not gonna give me peak performance because of my mods . If so there would be no need for the tuner. So what im looking for on here is for someone that is very familiar with the race tunes to tell me which one will give me best performance after the mods. No way the intake and pipe change would be optimized on stock tune.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The standard maps really don't give any particular bike the optimum performance...that is the real reason for owning a tuner...to start with a map and then create your own based on the bike's response and performance.

I bought mine along with a dyno job at the local HD...that gave me a starting point. I then used the dyno'd map and made myself 4 different maps, one for each season..yes, I ride year round. I've also changed pipes and cam since then and the tuner allows me to remap accordingly. The cam I selected gives me upper gear power because I usually have a passenger...that required changes based on throttle position, manifold pressure, RPM's, etc...

If you bought the tuner to just apply one of the standard maps, you've wasted your money...you could have HD do it for you (once and done).

Start at a "close" map, see how the bike performs and responds to the changes and go from there. The tuner is not easy as it wants you to make changes at various positions (think matrix). For example, if the bike does not respond well when you increase throttle you need to increase fuel when sensing throttle position change (and at what RPM it senses the change. Then based on the bike's[ response you will likely need to change the map for manifold pressure to accommodate the loss of pressure (vacuum). There are plenty of other changes to consider...for example how the engine responds when you let off on the throttle (lean or rich).

Read up on HD's EFI and how it works and you will enjoy the SERT...

Good luck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The standard maps really don't give any particular bike the optimum performance...that is the real reason for owning a tuner...to start with a map and then create your own based on the bike's response and performance.

I bought mine along with a dyno job at the local HD...that gave me a starting point. I then used the dyno'd map and made myself 4 different maps, one for each season..yes, I ride year round. I've also changed pipes and cam since then and the tuner allows me to remap accordingly. The cam I selected gives me upper gear power because I usually have a passenger...that required changes based on throttle position, manifold pressure, RPM's, etc...

If you bought the tuner to just apply one of the standard maps, you've wasted your money...you could have HD do it for you (once and done).

Start at a "close" map, see how the bike performs and responds to the changes and go from there. The tuner is not easy as it wants you to make changes at various positions (think matrix). For example, if the bike does not respond well when you increase throttle you need to increase fuel when sensing throttle position change (and at what RPM it senses the change. Then based on the bike's[ response you will likely need to change the map for manifold pressure to accommodate the loss of pressure (vacuum). There are plenty of other changes to consider...for example how the engine responds when you let off on the throttle (lean or rich).

Read up on HD's EFI and how it works and you will enjoy the SERT...

Good luck...
Man...now thats some good info. Thanks a lot. Looks like i have some homework to do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts