Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 1200XL & im leaking from the rocker (top front) & was looking to see if it's something someone with a bit of mechanical experience can get done or do I have to have a mechanic do it?.. Do bolts have to be torqued, if so how much? Do I have to empty all the oil out since it shouldn't leak as it's on the top? any & all help appreciated.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have an '04 1200XL & im leaking from the rocker (top front) & was looking to see if it's something someone with a bit of mechanical experience can get done or do I have to have a mechanic do it?.. Do bolts have to be torqued, if so how much? Do I have to empty all the oil out since it shouldn't leak as it's on the top? any & all help appreciated.
With just a few tools and a small amount of mechanical ability , one should be able to change rockerbox gaskets quite easily .

This is the time to acquire a MoCo Service Manual and the Parts Book before entering into this project .

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Fairly easy to do with basic hand tools. The corners of the gaskets are pretty thin and must be carefully positioned. Overtightening causes as much trouble as under (cuts the gasket).Most often it is one of the top two gaskets. Carefully clean the area then ride and inspect where the leak(s) are. No need to drain oil.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Yes, you need a FACTORY Service manual, and a torque wrench and had tools. Torque specs in service manual. No need to drain oil. Almost all the oil is in the oil tank, not the motor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply's guys... does anyone have a link for the service manual I can download? or an idea where to look..

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
No authorized download, check eBay or you can order one from the dealer.

Mine leaked on my 08 and I just tightened them up a little and it quit. You might get lucky to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried that and no luck.. the gasket must be crap already... I don't need the whole manual I just need to know what are the steps & how much to torque the bolts.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Not really critical torque values on rocker box. 5-6 lbs. ft or 60 -72 lbs. in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts