Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy, I’ve got 05 FXDI that was neglected pretty bad by it’s previous owners. :( So I’ve been fixing her up little by little.

today while installing a horn I discovered a mysterious ground wire that was just tucked away under the fuel tank along with the horn wires. The wire has a spade connector on one end, and is attached to one of the head bolts on the other end. Specifically it’s attached to the rear head bolt, on the left side, of the front cylinder. Does anyone have any idea what this could have gone to? Everything appears to be working correctly so it not really a huge deal at the moment. But it’s going to drive me crazy knowing something that should be grounded, might not be. Thanks guys!
Auto part Engine Light Motor vehicle Headlamp

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect it’s a ground because of its location. But I’ll have to double check after work today. The OEM horn wires are accounted for and plugged into the new horn. I guess I’m hoping someone else with an 05 FXDI sees this post and can just look and see where theirs is plugged into.

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
Got a 04 Dyna ,no such wire on my bike.04-05 were basically the same.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yes, that one with the right angle. But looking into the end, and see how many wires (either 1 or 2), and the shape of the terminal(s). Might ring a bell with someone. Obviously if it's one wire it's a ground.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that one with the right angle. But looking into the end, and see how many wires (either 1 or 2), and the shape of the terminal(s). Might ring a bell with someone. Obviously if it's one wire it's a ground.
I can confirm it is one wire, with a spade connector inside the rubber right angle.

could it be the OEM horn wire? Are you sure it's a ground, not 12v?
Definitely a ground. Double checked with a multimeter to confirm it.

Got a 04 Dyna ,no such wire on my bike.04-05 were basically the same.
I’m beginning to think someone may have added it to power some kind of accessory the bike used to have. Why they would choose that bolt though doesn’t make much sense. Oh well. Thanks for all the help everybody.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I'm not understanding the photo's. The 2nd pic seems to show the wire in position as you say, under the stabalizer bracket & top cyl. fin. The top close up, does not show a spade or anything else to connect to. To me it looks like it was wedged between the fin/stab. behind the bolt. Am I not seeing or understanding something?

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
The OEM horn ground wire is usually attached under the front top motor mount bolt, between the washer and the mount. The pics show this ground wire clamped between the front head and mount. Loosen the front mount nut up and can probably slide this ground wire right out from between the head and the mount.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR
1 - 10 of 10 Posts