Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other then the 06 cam measuring .875 and the 07 cam measuring 1" ...what are the differences in design..can the 07 cams be modded to fit or possible bearing change to 06 cam plate?

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Depends if your taking a CVO from '06. '07 had the 96ci whereas '06 was still the 88ci

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
06 still used outer cam bearings
07 was first of outer cam bushing

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right i know this...but is the only difference in the cams being the size of the shaft where it rides in the bearing or bushing?
Im wondering if i can turn the shaft down on the 07 cams to fit the 06 88ci motor

·
Banned
71 Posts
Right i know this...but is the only difference in the cams being the size of the shaft where it rides in the bearing or bushing?
Im wondering if i can turn the shaft down on the 07 cams to fit the 06 88ci motor
It would have to be Ground down, not turned on a lathe .

Question : Why ? You can get most any grind you may want in a cam, that will fit without any "turning". :dunno

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well im wanting the new woods 999 6A cam ...they only offer it for the 07 style as of now..my cousin has a machine shop and it would only be a tic over 1.5mm all the way around to make it fit..so if there is no other difference and theres enough meat..i would just have them taken down to fit

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Maybe they could cut you a set for early style? :dunno

Either that or get an 07 up cam plate.....

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea..my first thought was seeing if woods could cut a set for me...can i just upgrade the cam plate and oil pump to 07..is it a direct bolt in swap..this is my first time getting my hands in the twinkies. ..i have plans of a 103 stroker ... 4 5/8s crank stock bore

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Well I thought the crank cases had the same PN between 06 and 07, but I double checked, they are different.

Not sure if the bolt pattern for the cam plate changed between the two or not.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Well I thought the crank cases had the same PN between 06 and 07, but I double checked, they are different.

Not sure if the bolt pattern for the cam plate changed between the two or not.
Inner Cam bearing size has changed from a B-148 to a larger B-168 . :thumbsup :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im also wondering if i can do a bearing swap from the ball bearing to the needle bearing style...i dont plan on do anything with it until winter though when i have some time to weigh my options

·
Registered
42,150 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Other then the 06 cam measuring .875 and the 07 cam measuring 1" ...what are the differences in design..can the 07 cams be modded to fit or possible bearing change to 06 cam plate?
Im also wondering if i can do a bearing swap from the ball bearing to the needle bearing style...i dont plan on do anything with it until winter though when i have some time to weigh my options
Your case has the inner bearing B-148 NOT the larger B-168 . Your cam plate also has the smaller bearings and not the new ( 07 - present) larger size bearings . The new plates use a sleeve bearing not a ball or roller bearing .

To make a long story short : You are looking at a lot of work for little to NO return . If your mind is set on having that cam, get a new ( 07-present) cam plate, cam followers, oil pump and have that cam's inner bearing surface ground down to fit the older B-148 bearing . If you want a roller outer bearing, you will have to machine the cam plate to fit the new bearing .

Good Luck . :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well ill cross my fingers woods can grind that profile for me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts