Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've got an issue with my speedometer on my 06 Buell Blast and I'm not exactly sure how to diagnose this. I was hoping to stay away from the solution of just buy another speedometer until I know I absolutely have to.

So here is what I gathered:
Speedometer doesn't sweep through the range on start up (not exactly sure if it is supposed to)
Speed sensor is receiving proper voltage and I have taken it out and cleaned it.
I did the diagnosis on the speedometer (hold odometer switch and turn key to on position) and all codes are clear...
I found a frequency generator machine and hooked it up to the speedometer, the needle did move but not smoothly at all, it was almost as if it was kind of stuck. Also as it says in the service manual 606 Hz should read 20 MPH and 1207 should read 40 MPH. I dialed the frequency up to 606 and it ended up at roughly 17 MPH. As I dialed it up to 1207 the speedometer actually went back down to around 5 MPH which was extremely weird. All the time it was very twitchy in its movements.

Currently I don't have the proper equipment to test out the speed sensor, as i can't read the output and supply the proper amount of power to it at the same time with my setup, so I'm not exactly sure if the speed sensor has an issue.

Any Idea on what i can do next?

·
Registered
40,755 Posts
17 MPH. As I dialed it up to 1207 the speedometer actually went back down to around 5 MPH which was extremely weird. All the time it was very twitchy in its movements.
I think that answers your question provided the peak to peak voltage of the signal generator is what the speedo needed.

·
Retired citizen
24,094 Posts
I think it's the speedo, you were testing with the freq. gen. so that eliminated the sensor from the equation. The sensor only signals the speedo when the rear tire is rotating.
Try connecting a multimeter to the ouputs at the sensor, jack the rear wheel off the floor and rotate the rear tire with trans in neutral. The meter should jump whenever the magnet passes the blank in the gear. That's kinda how the shop tester works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts