Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok; please help me out suspension guru's. I have an '06 Electra Glide and it gets real loose in wide sweeping corners and just feels like it wants to wash out. Any ideas or possible solutions. I have all factory front forks and rear air shocks.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
Ok; please help me out suspension guru's. I have an '06 Electra Glide and it gets real loose in wide sweeping corners and just feels like it wants to wash out. Any ideas or possible solutions. I have all factory front forks and rear air shocks.

Have you checked all components? Anything loose, worn....
How fast are you going and what is your lean angle?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
take a sec and measure the rear wheel side to side alignment - might have slipped a bit causing a offset

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Do you have any of the aftermarket "links" to help get rid of the sway??

I bought the Alloy Art piece, and it solved my cornering away issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When did you last check your tire pressure? Sidewall flex will give you a creepy ride!

What kind of tires are you running? If you've got a high mileage tire you sacrifice grip for mileage.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Subscribed cuz mine is mushy in the corners too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything seems to be tight at last check about 2 weeks ago. Nothing should be worn bike only has 17k miles. Speed 60-90. Not sure on lean angle. No spokes. No link but considering the Progressive Touring Link Chassis Stabilizer (if anyone has any feedback on this tht'd be great). PSI was @ 40, will recheck. New Dunlops with 1k miles. Running only about 10psi in the rear shocks if this could affect it.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
Are you tracking correctly? as you had tire changed, make sure rear wheel is aligned correct.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I had some wiggle and shake in the corners, and I even have the newer frame, which was supposed to correct this. Always felt like it was tracking straight, and felt "squishy" I guess you could call it, like it was planted to the road.

I installed a Alloy Art chassis stabilizer, and the problem is gone. Even enough for my wife to make comment about it. The one I installed doesn't fit your year, but I know the Progressive on comes highly recommended, and Alloy Art does make one of your year, but it looks a little more involved.

Amazon.com: Alloy Art TXR Stabilizer - Black Anodized TXR-3: Automotive

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
You won't know if you're "tracking" correctly or not from the riders seat of the bike. You'll need someone to drive behind you and look at the relationship of the rear tire to the front. If that test is not an option you can use a straight edge along edge of the rear tire pulled up along the front tire for reference. This is real, I helped a guy last year figure it out on his scoot and it was the rear tire had been put on with a tilt to the right.

Also, If these new tires (new brand/compound, etc.) it may be that you just need to get used to them. maybe too much pressure. I know when I was running the D404 when I first put them on it felt like I was riding a steel ball.

·
245 Posts
1st thing is check both tires air pressure. With Dunlop tires run the recommended max. Other brands need a tweak ( Metzler needs to be @ 44, not 36).
Check your recommended pressure in the air shocks. Base is 10lbs. That is for a 150lb rider no passenger and no luggage. Every 25lbs over, you add 1 lb of air. If you ride 2 up, there is a setting for the passenger also. And you need to account for any luggage you carry (gloves, helmets, rain suits all add weight)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies fellas, much appreciated. Time to start down the list and see if i can find a solution

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
Ahh the old bagger wobble. Check swingarm bearings and put the stabilizer link on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts