Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people I have a HD Sportster I purchased a few years back never had a problem with it until recently. After I ride down Ocean View for about 40 minutes and have to come to stop signs and red lights, my bike tries to stall out on me at almost every stop unless I’m giving it a little throttle. It started last week so I figured it was the carb, so took it off cleaned it real well made sure my jet was clean, and reinstalled it and I thought the problem was fixed. Anyhow it happened again today so when I pulled up to the house I let it idle for about 60 seconds to see if it would die without me giving it any gas and it didn’t. It just keep sounding like it’s trying to die and backfired when I try to throttle it. Does the same thing at red lights. What else could be the problem on this 06 HD Sporty 1200 XL

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
More knowledgeable folks here than me but I will try to help. Depending if it sat long, could be mild corrosion in the tank that will cause the fuel system to keep bogging. Any upgrades that might affect?

Also consider a new person intro, we get lots of folks passing by and just post their issue on a bunch of forum but never stop back to even read the answers. Intros let people know you care enough to stick around for an answer I guess.

·
Just Ride
3,120 Posts
Which jet? There's a slow/pilot jet and main. Sounds like a second cleaning may be needed. Vacuum leak can also cause your problem.

·
Registered
11,529 Posts
Hey people I have a HD Sportster I purchased a few years back never had a problem with it until recently. After I ride down Ocean View for about 40 minutes and have to come to stop signs and red lights, my bike tries to stall out on me at almost every stop unless I’m giving it a little throttle. It started last week so I figured it was the carb, so took it off cleaned it real well made sure my jet was clean, and reinstalled it and I thought the problem was fixed. Anyhow it happened again today so when I pulled up to the house I let it idle for about 60 seconds to see if it would die without me giving it any gas and it didn’t. It just keep sounding like it’s trying to die and backfired when I try to throttle it. Does the same thing at red lights. What else could be the problem on this 06 HD Sporty 1200 XL
Lot of Ocean Views, one locally here. Where you located ??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts