Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine who s looking at a 06 street glide with 47,000 miles . The bike is in really good shape but the concern he's having is with the motor . It idles at about 900 rpm and has a horrible shake . Bring the rpms up to about 1,100 and if smooths out alot . Is this something to be concerned about ? I know these bikes do have a vibration but this ones seems way more than normal . Thanks in advance ....

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Idle should be 1050. Front mount may need replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That mounting system moves around a lot at idle...agreed that the front mount might be a problem, but then again, it might not be. Later compounds reduced the shake, but some folks report more vibration at road speeds. Depends what's important to you. I simply got used to the idle shake on my '06 Street Glide, the mounting pads are in good shape, just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vibration does settle down at 1,100 rpm . They asking 7,800 for the bike . Like I said , its a clean bike just the shake was worse than any I've seen before .

·
Registered
803 Posts
The vibration does settle down at 1,100 rpm . They asking 7,800 for the bike . Like I said , its a clean bike just the shake was worse than any I've seen before .
$7800 for an 06 street glide is a hellava good deal even with the 47,000 miles. As long as it's not a salvage bike.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Front mount is,$20 shipped.....jpcycle.

·
Registered
803 Posts
So the mount and idle it up should fix the probly ??
Mount may not even be broke, look underneath bike right below voltage regulator with bike running. If there is a tear in the rubber it is bad. Only takes about a half an hour to change, and as Dave pointed out they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any other input on this subject ? Trying to figure I out before the bike is sold to someone else

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
How long do you sit & idle the bike ? As long as it smooths right out as soon as you give it a little throttle then you should be good to go . That's just the character of a rubber-mounted engine ! Some move around more than others . Forget about the shake at idle and just enjoy the nice smooth ride at speed !

·
Registered
803 Posts
Any other input on this subject ? Trying to figure I out before the bike is sold to someone else
If you can put a video of the bike running at idle I'm sure we would be able to give you a better opinion as to whether or not it is normal.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
My son's 08 Fatbob shakes more some days then not as much on others:dunno

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if the motor is stock , it's for sale at a car lot . The guy traded it in on a car so the salesman doesn't know anything about it . It shakes so much that it broke the exhaust where the tail pipe and head pipe connect .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
What part of Louisiana are you in? Send me a private message and I may be able to meet you to give you an opinion on it.

--

1 - 15 of 15 Posts