Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at an '06 Sportster 1200 Custom soon that a guy I know is selling so he can move up to a larger bike. I'm new to Harleys, I currently ride an '02 Honda Shadow 600 so I'm looking forward to crossing the line into the world of Harley Davidson. Is there anything I should look for when I go to look at this bike? The only thing he's done to it is put saddle bags on it, added a passenger backrest and added Python pipes which I'd never heard of till he told me about them.

Any advise would be great!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If he has done the maintenance required for the mileage, then if the price is "right" for your area go for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said that he's done all the maintenance on it, changed the oil, kept it in a garage, etc. and the price is definitely right. I'll post some pictures later of it.

·
Super Moderator
12,729 Posts
Not knowing the mileage or price, it's hard to say.

Having the maintenance records is a big bonus.

An '06 Sportster should give you many years of service. Fairly low maintenance. It's a really good bike. A buddy of mine went from a Shadow 600 (his nickname is still shadowman) to a 1200 Sportster. He absolutely loved it. A decade later he got a Dyna.

Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Sportster engine has a reputation of being "bulletproof". The transmission is trouble free too. IMO the 1200 Sportster is the best bike Harley makes. I'm just too big for one (6'6")Parts are widely available and cheap.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have an 05' XL1200C with 37,xxx miles. I would have easily had 50,xxx miles on it if I could have riden her at all over the last year!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll post some pictures of it when I get home from work today, first thing I need to do before I buy this bike is sell my Honda Shadow.

·
Super Moderator
12,729 Posts

·
Wandering Evangelist
23 Posts
Excellent price for that year and mileage, you need to grab it while you can. As others have said it will not last long at all. If he puts it on Ebay it may be gone in a day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went out and looked at it today, going to take it for a ride in a couple of days when it hits 50 degrees... These are the pics he sent me from a couple days ago, the snow's mostly melted now. There's only one small dent in the tank by the seat, and some caked on rubber from his wife's shoes on the pipes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts