Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 FXD35 with 33,000mi. Dealer replaced inner primary bearing every 6 months or so due to bearing failure. Nothing but double talk about why it failed, whether the replacement bearings were identical or redesign, why 15,000 sched maintenance on bearing was 'discontinued', etc.

At 25month failure, I asked if they thought they had ever really fixed the problem and luckily the serv manager said 'no' and contacted HD to schedule a field examination of the bike.

HD declined the invitation to examine the bike but authorized $1000 in parts (new 08 trans/primary cases) over the phone at their expense. Seems the 06 trans case had (has) an alignment problem with the primary and causes bearing failures. The new trans case has design changes to (supposedly) fix the alignment problem. Also, now installed a new ceramic bearing race to go with the new cases.

My cost: $0

Not sure HD is planning on making this information public knowledge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The repairs were done in June and I'm back on the road with about 1,000 miles on them. From what I can tell, the new trans case (which is physically different from the 06 issue) has solved the mating problem with the primary.

Trans now shifts a lot more like the 07 and 08s I also ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
jh7340,

I need some advice and help fast. I have 23000+miles on my 06 Street Bob. The primary's been getting louder the last 5000 miles. I asked dealer about 15K primary replacement (when it fierst started making noise) and subsequent recension of that maintenance task and he pled ignorance. He said it was nothing to worry about, and he'd never heard of any primary issues on 06 Dynas. Today, I go to another dealer and his tech says this after listening to my primary for 15 seconds; "its either the primary bearing failure of the transmission mainshaft bearing failing."

He says he was told by a factory service rep 2 weeks ago to keep an eye out for any dynas (06 only???) with 20-30K miles on them with regard to the primary bearing. I mention the whole 15K reploacement in the maintenance scedule and the fact that HD was rumored to be replacing that for free. He said he would ask, but if the Transmission shaft bearing (not sure what he called this really) was shot that I would have to pay; only the primary would be covered by factory, and they may not cover that.

As he was finishing the paperwork and telling me I need to leave the bike there so he can squeeze it in some time during the next two weeks (they are slamed this time of year) I encouraged him to check with the factory rep and he said "its not my responsibility or my call on wether they replace the bearing or not." I told him I know its not, but I'd appreciate it if he would give it a try.

Anyway, I expect they won't replace everything they did on your's (bearing only for me sounds like?) and they will likely tell me the factory won't do anything-its all my fault they'll say.

Well, that's alot.

Any advice?

Thanks,
AFB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts