Harley Davidson Forums banner

06 Ultra Classic Rear Shocks

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Wingnut 
#1 ·
My wife has osteoporosis in her spine. She is having a hard time with pain when I hit minor bumps in the road. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which rear shocks are best for comfort? I have progressive front fork springs and was thinking about rear progressive shocks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
Have you tried a pillowtop seat ??? One of the groups wife used to ride with a small personal size pillow . Took me forever to get him to try the pillowtop seat, when he did , his wife no longer needed nor wanted her pillow .

Progressive 416 are great shocks . :thumb

#3 ·
On an 06 you still have rear air shocks from the factory. Double check the air pressure. Inside the saddlebag it gives you the recommended settings. They are based on a rider of 150 lbs. the add a pound for every 25 lbs., and the riders weight is additional air, along with any luggage(even rain suits, helmets, gloves add weight). Just remember both too soft or too hard will give you a rougher ride.
If that doesn't help, I would try the pillow, or a gel pad before I dropped that coin on shocks, that might not help any better than the OEM air shocks.
You can also look into a seat. Mustang has an "Ultra Pillow Touring" seat. Wider and more padded than most others. Very comfortable ride.

#4 ·
I replaced the shocks on my Ultra with a very high quality set of shocks. The improvement is remarkable, but in your case, I don't know that it would help much. In fact, it may make it worse.

The better shocks do prevent the bike from bottoming out when you hit a big bump, and the rebound is infinitely better, so the tire stays on the road. They allow the bike to ride better, handle better and make it generally safer IMO, but I don't know that they soften impact any better. For some, part of the appeal of the factory shock is that plush, 70s caddy floating ride. It's great until you hit something bigger than they can handle - like almost anything more than flattened beer can in the road.

You might look into some of the aftermarket air ride systems. I think they may offer a lot of what you are looking for. They're pricey, but they are far superior to the stock system. Don't go cheap though. They are "get what you pay for" kind of item.

#5 ·
If you do go with aftermarket shocks, the top of the line in quality and price is the Ohlin's. Two other's to check out are JRI and the Progressive's you mentioned.

#9 ·
I will make adjustments on the air pressure and try that first . Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Do you have the correct air pump for the shocks ? Don't add air to the shocks from a compressor, it'll blow the bladder and the shocks will be junk.
No loss air pump with gauge.

#8 ·
Adjusting the air can be very daunting task. But, it is the place to start. There seems to be a sweet spot, usually within a pound or so, that when you find it you (and you're better half) are gonna love the ride. And when you do, make a note of it so finding it again won't be a pain. I know on my 99 Road King (which has front and rear air) a pound either way can make a huge difference. And ambient temperature will effect the way the air shocks perform also. As chasarms said, "If you hit anything bigger that a flatten beer can" you're going to feel it.

#14 ·
On an 06 your fill is on the left side, check that saddlebag for a tag / decal with the recommended pressures if you don't have the service manual. (if you do it is on page #2-75 table 2-6)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.