Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the group and new 1st time Harley owner. Picked up a 07 Electra Glide standard last week.
I have a question about the idle and amount of vibration while stopped. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area.
The idle is right around 1,000 rpms, the engine hasn't stalled yet but just seems like it is going to, also how much vibration is normal while sitting at idle?
This might just be me not being used to how a Harley actually runs and just need to learn, yet I do not want to miss a possible major issue cause I don't know either? The bike runs and rides awesome at cruising speeds, just concerned about the idle cause of what I have read about lack of oil circulation.

·
Banned
71 Posts
New to the group and new 1st time Harley owner. Picked up a 07 Electra Glide standard last week.
I have a question about the idle and amount of vibration while stopped. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area.
The idle is right around 1,000 rpms, the engine hasn't stalled yet but just seems like it is going to, also how much vibration is normal while sitting at idle?
This might just be me not being used to how a Harley actually runs and just need to learn, yet I do not want to miss a possible major issue cause I don't know either? The bike runs and rides awesome at cruising speeds, just concerned about the idle cause of what I have read about lack of oil circulation.
Books says idle is to be set at 1050 rpms , so 1000 is close . :)

It'll shake some at idle, smooth out as soon as you raise rpms . :thumb

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just watched a video someone posted about the same question about idle. He basically got the same replies, all sounded and looked good. His RK sounded identical to my EG, call it the newbie over protection. Trust me when I say I know I have a LOT to learn about how HDs run, preform, and general servicing. Already got my service and electrical manuals. Already know all you old timers are here to help us and hopefully keep us from making to many mistakes.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Don't confuse "shaking" at idle with vibration. Your engine is mounted in rubber and shakes like the paint mixer at Home Depot when idling.
Vibration is your feet sliding off the footboards and the handlebar grips seeming like they grow to 3" in diameter when underway. If you can tell the color of the car behind you in your mirrors, you are good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for that clearing that up? Shaking is definitely what I was trying to say? Just couldn't figure out a way to explain right. I knew before I road her home that I needed to get use to a few changes from my BLVD. Making sure all is good, would rather be cautious then over look something that is not normal.
thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts