Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody,

New here, just made an account to see if y'all could help shed some light on what might be causing my troubles.

2007 nightster, 28k miles, new spark plugs, new clutch, new stator, new battery (just some random info)

Anyways, a few days ago my bike wouldn't start. Clicking, and then of course I drained the battery trying to start it. Put battery on trickle charger, bike started fine. Rode it. Started fine afterwards. Then after playing with it to see if the problem would persist, of course it came back. Charged the battery again, checked it while the bike was running (reading 14-14.5 volts approximately, I can't remember but it didn't seem low and it didn't get too high when going up in the rpms). So I assume this means my charging system is fine. My next assumption is that the voltage drop from the starter is too high. First thing I do is check the solenoid. Per the clymer manual, I checked voltage when starting the bike. It did not exceed 1 volt. Supposedly this means there is no problem with the solenoid. The next test would be to check the starter ground circuit, which I will do as soon as I charge the battery back up. I also checked the starter relay and it checked out fine.

Let me know if I am on the right track, I'm performing these tests according to the clymer manual and what I have read online, but I'm really at a loss here. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could help me out.

UPDATE: Ran the next test in manual, it said the voltage drop should not exceed .2 volts. I found that when doing this test, the voltage went from 9-11 volts. It said if this is the problem I should check the ground connections between the meter leads. I guess I will have to check my grounds... Not really sure where to begin, they all seem good to the naked eye... secure, no corrosion...

Thank you

·
Banned
71 Posts
You would be money ahead to acquire a MoCo Service Manual, Parts Book & the Electrical Manual ..... before you try to work on your bike.

The Clymer manual leaves alot to be desired :fitz

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
After fully charging the battery, take the battery and have it load tested. If it tests good, replace it in the bike. Clean and tighten all battery wire connections carefully.
For what it's worth, almost all motorcycle starting problems are either a bad battery, or bad connections.

X2 on getting the factory manuals, worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Load test indicates that the battery is bad. I just don't really know why the battery would go bad when it's only four months old, the bike is ridden daily (when it's not broken down) and garage kept...

and for those of you wondering, the battery is OEM. I'm hoping nothing external caused it to go bad so quickly, I really can't afford to be replacing batteries every few months

1 - 5 of 5 Posts