Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the exhaust on their new 07? What did the dealer tell you about the warranty?
One dealer told me. We will put on any pipe you want, and stand behind the machanics work.But will not stand behind it on the warranty. You sign at the bottom of the invoice that you know that you are not supposed to do it. Some type of release I guess.
I have read on another forum that if you put a RT on a 07. It is Black flagged automatically with the MoCo. Should any warranty issues come up.

What do you guys think? And what have your dealers told you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a scare tactic the dealers are using to attempt to isolate them from EPA enforcement. '07's are the first model year that the EPA in some states (California, etc.) are cracking down on what has always been an illegal practice, installing "not legal for road use" parts on a road going motorcycle.

Remember, this has ALWAYS been illegal, it's only now that there is some kind of enforcement that the dealers are seeking protection through releases which will not hold up in court. Dealers who tamper with systems that increase the noise or emissions beyond what's legal will pay (and already have) huge fines.

As for black flagging your bike because of a RT download, not likely. The MoCo system isn't that sophisticated AND most dealers cant detect that a new calibration is downloaded unless they are looking for it. Even if they were to "black flag" it that means nothing regarding your warranty. They are still obligated to prove that the RT calibration and/or exhaust pipe you installed was a contributing factor in the failure you are seeking warranty coverage on.

Now, that means you will not have coverage for rideability issues (rough idle, poor fuel economy, etc.) but they can't decline coverage for oil leaks, broken shift linkages, bad cam bearings, etc.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Interesting point!
I had a warranty claim denied on a 103" motor that I built which broke a primary chain!!!
It was a total mess inside the carnage of primary covers, clutch, cases, crank, output-shaft etc.!!

Somehow they knew through the auto-sync with Digital Technician that the ECM had the re-flash???

That was HDE though...they can be tricky if they choose to, but I think its more a matter of CYA and fines than longevity issues.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was wondering about this myself. Dealer recently readily sold me some screamin eagle ii slip-ons for my brand new bike and made no mention of warranty issues and didn't make me sign anything. Then I saw a warranty notice on the box. I was told by a 3rd party that the dealer would still stand behind the bike on any warranty issues but I don't have it in writing anywhere. Just what is their liability if I have a warranty issue and they willingly sold me the mufflers without mentioning any warranty nullification?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on the dealer

I was wondering about this myself. Dealer recently readily sold me some screamin eagle ii slip-ons for my brand new bike and made no mention of warranty issues and didn't make me sign anything. Then I saw a warranty notice on the box. I was told by a 3rd party that the dealer would still stand behind the bike on any warranty issues but I don't have it in writing anywhere. Just what is their liability if I have a warranty issue and they willingly sold me the mufflers without mentioning any warranty nullification?
Depends on the dealer??? But the MoCo uses that to get out of any MAJOR warranty issues that they can.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You had to sign something?

Depends on the dealer??? But the MoCo uses that to get out of any MAJOR warranty issues that they can.
You had to sign something. Before or after. Giving permission to work on your bike. Or the receipt.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
My dealer tells me they will warrant anything they do on the bike. I have heard that the installing dealer warrants his own work but other dealers do not have to honor anything but factory work if you break down somewhere else.

I do know of one guy who had extensive work done on his engine. When it blew out of state he paid the $50.00 deductible on the extended warranty but they would only put in a stock engine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I read recently in a newsletter put out by my dealership that HD has a new policy of covering any item they install on the bike if purchased with the bike or within 30 days. It specifically mentioned "accessories" such as chrome, windshields, and other add ons. It did not mention whether exhaust or other such items where included.

Given the new warrantee on accessories policy, I would ask them about exhaust. My guess is going to be that they will cover HD components that they install, if purchased at the time the bike is, or within the 30 days. Which means SE mufflers, and maybe a SERT.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,092 Posts
When I bought my '04 Ultra, the stealer specifically said anything I added to the scoot at that time would be covered under the original 2 year factory warranty, but after 30 days, I was on my own if I added anything. I had Hooker pipes installed and so far the few times I have had a warranty issue, it hasn't come up. That includes use of the extended 7 year warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts