Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 SE Ultra - No changes of any kind, and on our fifth new/rebuilt engine @ 22,000 total miles. Last one was 3,000 miles ago. In the shop as we speak for #5. 12-20-08

Anyone else??

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
wow!!!! something isn't right. I'd be looking at the people who are doing the work, and what they are useing for parts and replacement eng.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I had to rebuild My 76 FLH after about 5000 miles but that was due to condensation of being in a cold then heated then back again garage{I was the second owner}.After the rebuild I had over 50,000 miles on the rebuild and still running strong.
I think I would be questioning the integrity of the shop and the parts they are using.
For what You have spent on rebuilds I woud think You could buy a new engine from Harley Davidson or even a new after market engine from S&S or one of the other engine builders out there.
Is there a problem with oil lines plugged or some other deficiency that can cause premature failure???

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Seroius problems with the SE engine build, awhile back somebody posted about it. I know that Donnie Peterson, AIM is doing a three part with the first one in the January addition.

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
I would think they would replace not rebuild. 5th time? You need to go to a different dealer or see if this meets your local lemon law replacement. A bike that has been pulled apart and put together that many times in that short of a time period is bound to wind up with new issues down the road.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I would think they would replace not rebuild. 5th time?
With a newly designed engine. from what I read its reached its limitations and they are just replacing gaskets etc., that are
doomed to fail again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every failure has been repaired by a different dealer in a different state (we are full time RVers). Harley provided new crate engines for the first two failures. The second two were rebuilt by HD dealers under warranty using HD provided parts. Every failure has been for a different reason. Neither our state of purchase nor our current res state have motorcycle lemon laws. We've received a letter of apology and a nice coffee table HD book from "big" Harley, but now we're forced into our extended warranty for the current rebuild. Exended warranty company sent a rep to look at the torn down motor before approving current rebuild, which is replacing everything but the case, due to scoring on every major component.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You need to get a trued flywheel and get a Harley Race shop weld it. It you have a 96" or 110 " engine it is a stroker crank. If you put your current crank on a truing jig, I bet you Flywheels scissored on you which damaged your oil pump thus the rest of your moving parts,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5th motor, flywheel comment

You need to get a trued flywheel and get a Harley Race shop weld it. It you have a 96" or 110 " engine it is a stroker crank. If you put your current crank on a truing jig, I bet you Flywheels scissored on you which damaged your oil pump thus the rest of your moving parts,
Yes, that was our first failure in Washington state. The factory knew exactly what it was, because "Willie G's bike had already done it." They had no new 110's on the shelf, so ran one down the assembly line, freighted it to Bellingham, and we were back on the road in two weeks, until the NEXT time it failed!

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Did you have an oil leak around the rear exhaust port yet?

·
blk bassani thunder
1,248 Posts
Sounds like many things but the main problem with the 110's are the head gasket issues blowing in the rear part of the motor from detonation. New gaskets, higher compression and an oil cooler has seem to solve that but seems like you have had numerous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5th 07 SE 110 motor

Sounds like many things but the main problem with the 110's are the head gasket issues blowing in the rear part of the motor from detonation. New gaskets, higher compression and an oil cooler has seem to solve that but seems like you have had numerous.
Well, the head gasket blowing is yet to come, I guess! The current mechanic said every part in the motor had scoring. HD is closed for the holidays, so they won't be shipping us any parts until well after the 1st. Happy New Year for us, huh.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
That's insane.....5 motors/rebuilds for one vehicle. Warranty or not, that kind of story is remenicent of the old AMF days.....

I hope we're not going back to that crap again.............. :(

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
What the quality control guys are out of business again ?

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
I'd ask for a refund!!!! The bike spends more time in the shop than on the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts