Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired an 07 softtail and eager to maintain the bike as i do with my other bikes and cars.

Went to harley dealer to buy oil filter and oil. Warmed up motor, drained oil- all good. Removed filter and my new one from the dealer is not matching the old one. New one is a female- old one has a male set of threads. See pics. Old one just removed is on the left. Did i do something wrong?

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
Recently acquired an 07 softtail and eager to maintain the bike as i do with my other bikes and cars.

Went to harley dealer to buy oil filter and oil. Warmed up motor, drained oil- all good. Removed filter and my new one from the dealer is not matching the old one. New one is a female- old one has a male set of threads. See pics. Old one just removed is on the left. Did i do something wrong?
That's the threaded adapter screwed into the old filter. Remove it and reinstall it on your bike .

I've not ever had one come loose , you have all the luck. :thumb

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thank you. Makes total sense. I just didn't want to make a mistake. Phew.
Now would be a great time to buy the MoCo Service Manual, the Parts Book, and the Electrial Manual. Best money you will ever spend. You'll more than make up for what you spend on the manuals, in your first service you do yourself . :thumb :)

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
When you reinstall the male insert, tighten that big nut so it doesn't happen next time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx all. Previous owner (or dealer) way overtightened the oil filter - which may explain the situation. I had to use an extension to get enough leverage on the filter to loosen it. :what?

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
Thx all. Previous owner (or dealer) way overtightened the oil filter - which may explain the situation. I had to use an extension to get enough leverage on the filter to loosen it. :what?
Many are guilty of over tightening the filter. A little fresh oil on the new filter seal. Put it back on finger tight or just a little more.
You should be good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts