Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the '07 models were introduced, Milwaukee made a big splash at the press meetings noting how they retuned the exhaust to amplify lower frequencies, delivering a lower/deeper note. Have not heard an '07 stock exhaust system yet and curious if any of you have and if you could tell a difference, or if it does indeed contain a pleasing low/deep note.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I thought they were quieting them down some.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
Do you like your Rinehardts?

I installed a set of Rinehardts and added the HP baffles and think they sound pretty good. I had a set of V&H's longshots before them with HP baffles and liked the sound but grew tired of the look from the back with both pipes on the one side

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought they were quieting them down some.
Bill Davidson noted in Cycle World last month with the new '07 stock exhaust, a stock Harley "now sounds like a Harley should." Motorcycle Consumer News also noted how improved the exhaust note is with the stock pipes/muffler. With the new 96" internals and other reductions in engine noise, Milwaukee was able to adjust the stock exhaust note giving it a more pleasing tone and still stay within EPA guidelines... swapping engine noise with more exhaust music. At least this is what Milwaukee's marketing machine is saying.

I'm curious to supplement magazine-speak with the opinions of those who have heard an '07. I've not heard one yet, and if indeed it is a nice low and deep toned note, this is a big plus to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
they sound better

When the '07 models were introduced, Milwaukee made a big splash at the press meetings noting how they retuned the exhaust to amplify lower frequencies, delivering a lower/deeper note. Have not heard an '07 stock exhaust system yet and curious if any of you have and if you could tell a difference, or if it does indeed contain a pleasing low/deep note.
my buddy has an 06 night train w/stock exhaust. my wife has an 07 street bob. the 07 was louder to start with and has gained a little volume as it broke in.:ride

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an 07 Streetbob European spec which means it has a lot of gubbings such as a valve that diverts exhaust from one muffler to the other at different rev ranges and also some gizmo on the air intake, both cable operated.In my opinion much much TOOOOO! quiet, and no-one yet seems to have a solution to take all this crap off and put some decent looking V&H pipes on without introducing error codes on the ECM.I've heard a rumour that all you guys in the USA are in for this treat next year, perhaps then some aftermarket pipes and a solution will become available.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was under the impression all the 96 engines regardless of market were using the intake and exhaust valves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 07 road Glide.....it sounded alright w/ stock pipes but just could not deal w/ the soft note. I put on Vance and Hines classic slash cut slip ons. I also added K&N RK series air filter and a Vance and Hines Fuelpak. Runs much better and sounds better....not too loud, just right.
Uptown

·
Registered
19 Posts
I heard the new exhaust note in the dealership, and it is a definite improvement over past models, but I'm with Harleypower69, it's not enough for me.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Harleypower, Kurt... Thanks. I'm about to sell the Heritage and trade the WG for a Road King. Guess I'll find out soon enough. My guess is just like you note... an improvement but perhaps with the music still too muffled.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounded okay to me but still not enough. I don't want to be the loudest bike in town but I replaced stock with some screamin eagle ii's the dealer had in inventory and it sounds much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My '07 was better than an '06 that I had heard, but since I put on the Rinehart 2 into 1, it now sounds like a Harley should! :D

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
And my experience was the same. The stock '07 sounds better than the previous stock exhausts but it is just too quiet. I really don't want my touring bike to rattle windows but it needs a little more noise. It scares me to hear my engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last year the touring bikes had a cat in the right pipe. Only the Dynas had the O2 sensors last year but they all have them this year. I think the removal of the cat because of the sensors helped the stock '07 pipes sound better than the stock '06 pipes. However, stock is stock and neither was really to my liking so my stock system is resting quietly in a box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts