Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Street Bob that I am keeping & riding for a friend who is very sick and doesn't want his scoot sitting around any more than it already has. I went to gas it up for the first time today and could not get the gas cap off. I know this is probably the ultimate noob question, but how does it come off ? It's the stock cap. I've tried just turning it cc, pressing down on it while I turn it, pulling up on it to no avail. I feel it loosen but it won't lift off.:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
577 Posts
That's a new one on me....I've got a 13' StreetBob and mine is like a car/truck, it kinds of spins freely for a bit then threads up and unscrews normally.

Stupid question but mine has two caps on the tank. Left is the fuel guage and it does NOT come off, the right one is the fuel cap. Just checking....

Other than that, sorry but I don't have a clue....gotta be frustrating. Better ask your friend if there is a trick to it. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a new one on me....I've got a 13' StreetBob and mine is like a car/truck, it kinds of spins freely for a bit then threads up and unscrews normally.

Stupid question but mine has two caps on the tank. Left is the fuel guage and it does NOT come off, the right one is the fuel cap. Just checking....

Other than that, sorry but I don't have a clue....gotta be frustrating. Better ask your friend if there is a trick to it. Good luck.
Thanks StreebBob4 - This one's the same, gas gauge on the left doesn't come off, gas cap on the right. It loosens when turned to the left and turns left all the way to a hard stop, and tightens to the stop when turned right, and is loose in between but doesn't come off - believe me I know how dumb this question sounds but I spent an hour trying to get it off to no avail. I'll do as you said and ask the owner about it, it's his scooter and I don't want to force anything.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Be sure to let us know what that little problem is. It's a new one. Probably something stupid...lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be sure to let us know what that little problem is. It's a new one. Probably something stupid...lol
Talked to the owner this morning, he said ya just turn it to the left and lift it off....oh, ok. Well I got it off. For some reason, where it supposed to hit threads and unscrew, it felt like a hard stop but I guess the threads on the cap weren't aligning in the threads in the sleeve right so I covered the cap with a rag, got a big pair of water-pump pliers (aka channel lock) and put some force on it. Once it moved just a little, it came the rest of the way off easy. Had this been my bike I would have done this in the beginning instead of asking the embarrassing question of how to remove the gas cap, but the bike isn't mine and the last thing I wanted to do was ding up some little something on a friends bike. Now I put it on, take it off no problem - have no idea why it was stuck the first time but thanks for taking the time to reply to this really dumb question and not flaming me. Now I have a couple of REAL questions I need to go ask....:laugh:laugh

·
Registered
577 Posts
My Dad always said the only dumb question is the one that should have been and wasn't...Figured it'd be something stupid like that. There's a first time for everything...You did the absolute right thing, ALWAYS better safe than sorry.....R

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for your question! you just solved the very same problem for me on a brand new motorcycle oh, well brand new used motorcycle... I didn't have to break out the channel locks, but I just kind of wiggled it back and forth until it got in the groove and came out.

·
Registered
539 Posts
FUNNY.. I had that same stupid experience today! My wife's new to her Sportster 1200. Stopped for gas for our first time with this bike today....SAME BATTLE :oops:o_O:censored::unsure:.....(y)

Really dumb part on me was...i had the gas cap off, just last Sunday when i was waxing the tank? WTF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts