Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on another forum that a guy rolled his bike down a hill to not wake up his neighbors, well that's what I was doing to avoid waking up my daughter, well I get coasting down the hill and it would crank and crank and not fire up, the fuel pump was not priming and the red security light was flashing, checked relays and fuses everything was fine, replaced fuel pump thinking that it might be the issue and it wasn't, so now im at a loss for words I guess and I did have a couple codes in and one of them that caught my eye was the u1055 (neutral ground alarm) maybe because the bike was at such a tilt that the pump didn't prime and now it will not? I did disconnect the battery and all that good stuff nothing changed. not sure what to do next

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay that's another thing I forgot to mention, I don't have a key fob, I guess I never got one when I purchased the bike. so would I be able to reset or bypass a security system?

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
The clutch switch ! Coasting the bike trying to bump start with the trans in gear while releasing the clutch handle and engine not running.
What were the other codes ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay well Other codes I had were p1353/6 and p 0261 to both cylinders not having the fuel obviously due to the fuel pump not priming, and u1016. but I never tried to push start if if that's what you are trying to say schmidty but I suppose rolling it that fast and just having the slightest of engagement of the transmission could cause it? And how do reset that if that's the case?
Thank you

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were trying to start the engine on the roll bumping the rear tire.
Did you check the fuel pump fuse ? The pump will only run for 3 seconds until the engine starts.
Try removing the Maxi-fuse for approx. 5 minutes, don't disconnect the battery terminals though, just the Maxi-fuse. That'll usually reset the system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright schmidty! pulled fuses and replaced some of them and even changed out relay's and nothing, still getting that code u1016, so here's something else interesting, the bike will not try to start if it is in 1st gear with the clutch out. but as soon as I pull the clutch in it will turn over..... don't know if that's some useful information for troubleshooting this stubborn b***h haha, im at a loss for words on this one but still want to try to get it figured out before hauling it 200 miles to a Harley dealership to get plugged into and find something wrong with it and fix for a few hundred $$ thanks

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
alright schmidty! pulled fuses and replaced some of them and even changed out relay's and nothing, still getting that code u1016, so here's something else interesting, the bike will not try to start if it is in 1st gear with the clutch out. but as soon as I pull the clutch in it will turn over..... don't know if that's some useful information for troubleshooting this stubborn b***h haha, im at a loss for words on this one but still want to try to get it figured out before hauling it 200 miles to a Harley dealership to get plugged into and find something wrong with it and fix for a few hundred $$ thanks
It's supposed to do that. That's the switch that's in the clutch handle perch, not supposed to turn over while in gear. Sounds like that switch is working correctly.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Code U1016 is a 'loss of serial data'. The ECM is missing a required signal from one of the sensors.
Did you check for fuses under the right side cover ? I don't remember if the '07 still had them there but earlier models had the engine and fuel pump fuses on the right side.
Otherwise check the wiring connectors at all the sensors.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Are you sure that interesting code you found earlier wasn't U1255 instead of U1055 ? U1255 is a 'serial data error', again the ECM is missing something.
When you disconnected the battery did you maybe dislodge the ECM data connector ?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
'07's DO have fuses under the right side cover. They are; Fuel Pump, ECM, P&A/Ign. and Engine control.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup it was 1055, and all the fuses were good under the right and left side covers, yeah maybe it's wires at some sensors because the Ecu is hooked up and it looks like all the pins in it are able to make good contact, I guess start digging into all the sensors and see if I have a loose connection

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
I've got a fuel pump test for you to try if you're up to it.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Ignition off, remove the fuel pump fuse from it's socket. Use a jumper with gator clips on both ends. Clip a safety pin into one gator and the other jumper gator attaches to the battery positive. Now probe both fuse socket terminals with the safety pin, the pump should run when one of the socket terminals is probed. Probe just long enough to verify that the pump runs. If the pump doesn't run the problem is upstream between the fuse socket and the pump or pump harness. If the pump runs the problem is downstream, more difficult to diagnose.
You can check for volts at the fuse socket too. Use the jumper and a multimeter and probe both socket terminals while turning the ignition on, there should be battery volts for 3 seconds then zero volts. If you have volts for 3 seconds then the problem is upstream to the pump.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Christophss,
Not wanting to get in the way of what Schmidtys is asking you to do, as he's experience and knowledge is kinda huge but just wanted to add a couple of thoughts about this particular code U1016- Loss of ECM serial data.
The wire in particular that is involved with serial data information/communication between the ECM, TSM, and speedometer/tacho is the Light green/ violet wire. It also goes to the radio.
It should be terminal 5 at the ECM connector
& terminal 3 at the TSM connector
& terminal 2 at the speedo & also tach connector.
& terminal 9 at the radio
& terminal 3 of the data link connector

If the initial start up check that the electronics goes through does not provide the correct information back to the ECM over this wire, it will often not allow the bike to start...hence the term "Loss of serial data(state of health)"
I take it you have a constant trouble code showing presently?
It might be worth disconnecting the block connectors to these items mentioned above and checking for continuity at these pin terminals whilst performing a wiggle test on all relevant parts of the wiring loom to ensure you don't have a broken wire or a poor connection which may be preventing the correct state of health message that the ECM requires.
If you do decide to try this please remember to take out the main fuse before carrying out your tests.

Also check you have a good ring terminal connection at the right hand side "clean" ground stud that is located on the frame cross member in front of the battery tray where the front edge of the seat would be.

Good luck with your trouble shooting and hope you get to the bottom of the problem soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts