Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was climbing up in altitude toward the summit of the local Volcano, cruising between 20-25 mph in second gear about 2500 RPM, speed limit in park in that area is 25 MPH. Outside temp, maybe 72*, so the weather was nice. I come around a turn to go into the next turn, she acts like she ran out of gas, sputtered, farted and died! I had at least 1/4 tank of fuel and I did not hit the Run/Off switch. No CEL, no nothing. Odd thing is, when I press the Run switch in the run position, the fuel pump would run. Only did that a few times then stopped. Let it set a couple minutes, she fired right off. Odddddd!

Any ideas as to what's up?? I don't know how to check for codes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting this hasn't happened to others, maybe just a glich in the ECM. If it happens again, I dump this thing.. I refuse to chase a problem that shouldn't be there. When I'm on the road, I expect reliability. I will live by my word, once bit, twice shy!
Thanks Dvae.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just got back from a short 50 mile ride. It runs pretty good but definitely shakes a lot more at idle and the Tach is back to bouncing around at idle. The upgraded program "F" is a bit better. Now, the difference with the rear cylinder shut down is, it idled smoother, tach didn't bounce and twist and go was much more responsive. This new flash "F" is stock but I now get less to no ping so far. That was my issue to begin with.

As for the engine shut down, the stealer says no historic codes were found. Today while riding I was thinking about this. When the bike shut down I was going thru- turns, but not hard and abrupt. I got to thinking and came up with a possibility as to maybe why she shut off. I had a solid 1/4 tank of fuel left, but, I also have a 2" tank lift! So, my question to those who have experienced this shut down, how many here have a tank lift???? Just an idea.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the POS died on me again and left me stranded, for a while! This time 45 miles from home while on my day trip. Needless to say, the trip was canceled as soon as I was able to get it running again and went straight to the stealer. Now they have to call HD and see what's up. Interesting, they never documentd the first time it happened when I took it in. All I got then was lip service. I made mention as why it wasn't documented when I brought it in the first time. Of course, all I got was the deer in the headlight look! Now to wait for the phone call from the dealer to see what's up....

No warning when it happened and no CEL, no codes!

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Let us know what happens. Another "dealer in the headlights look" no surprise there. I've considered a tank lift but was always curious if it would be a drastic change to fuel level - thereby imparing the fuel guage or pick up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a tank lift and it has died prior to adding a tank lift. The tank was full as I had just filled it not 2 miles down the road before it died. The stealer really isn't doing much, as of yet, but today I learned an Indy shop just down the road from the stealer, is authorized to do HD service work! Guess where I'm taking it next?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm finding out the HD Reps are as useless as the dealer. Basically I have to live with a bike that dies while riding at any given time. I now have NO faith in the MoCo! This is my last HD! I guess it's time to take the finacial hit and off this POS! As far as I'm concerned, this bike is unreliable and unsafe. They want to insinuate as if the turn signal relocations I did front and back along with the HD turn/brake/running light pig tail I installed may have something to do with the situation. I informed them the situations have all happened even prior to those mods. Reps state the run/turn/brake light module is hot to the touch. I have no clue if that is normal operations for that pig tail. They don't know either, LOL. I will instruct my wife to go after the MoCo and dealer should my safety be compromised because the bike shuts down while at highway speeds and it creates a situation where something happens to my life! I seriously doubt they haven't a possible clue as to what causes, or a component to cause, this situation. Because they didn't reproduce in 23 miles, what has happened over a 2000 mile time period. I'm stuck. F--- HD!

Thankls for letting me vent!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Are you referring to the brake light unit that makes the rear t/s lights brake/running lights? Did you buy it at the dealer?"

Yes and yes.

Maybe I will start by returning the brake/running light/turn signal for another. Yes I have the security system. Also, no codes, no historic codes either!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Shutdown at highway speed?

I was reading your thread and my question may seem ignorant but I am asking because I don't know the answer. What will happen if the bike shuts down abruptly at highway speed. Will the rear wheel lock up before you get the clutch disengaged? If I were having that problem with my bike I would just go ahead and hire a lawyer and fight it out in court.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brakes don't lock up. When it shuts down it's as if the key were turned off, you have to coast to the side of the road.

I'm a Principals kind of guy, but, the way the system works, it's more costly to fight it out as is with Lemon Law. I still haven't decided which way to go. The easist way would be to just get rid of the bike. With Lemon Law, there are requirements that need to be met, such as, being in the shop X amount of times for the same problem and a length of time without the vehical while trying to be repaired. Who knows, with winter coming, I may just drop it off on their door step and tell them I don't want it back till it's fixed!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Removed Turn signal/running light/brake light pig tail. Went on a 140 run, no shut down! This doesn't happen when I leave home on any kind of run, my suspicions are with that mod. Does this mean I found the cause?? I hope so, but I will wait longer to confirm my suspicions with a few more runs. If this is the case, the MoCo should put and advisement on that part that states this item may cause adverse running effects of the engine! Now, how may people are having issues with engine shut down that run this mod HD sells???? I hope people see this thread and remove that item from their bike to see if it resolves their engine shut down while riding issues! On the flip side, is this only a cause with bikes with the security system?? I have the security system! If so, maybe it's sending low or high signals back to the ECM and the security system interprets it as the security system being activated? Don't really know!

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I'll be willing to bet it's fixed. Which mod was it, so I'll be hesitant to buy it? My luck I'll change something down the road and come up with the same thing.

:woo

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a kit that turns your turn sgnals into a brake light and running lights, which stays on when the ignition key is turned on and still retains your turn signals. It's plug and play that is placed between the harness under your seat. People should be informed of this situation! Does your bike have the Security System? Now I'm curious if this effects bikes without Security systems..

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Sounds curiously close to the Bank angle sensor being bad I have heard this has been a problem on some bikes.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
It's a kit that turns your turn sgnals into a brake light and running lights, which stays on when the ignition key is turned on and still retains your turn signals. It's plug and play that is placed between the harness under your seat. People should be informed of this situation! Does your bike have the Security System? Now I'm curious if this effects bikes without Security systems..
Mine has it. Sounds like I'll just avoid it. Well until Dave get's this figured out. :notw:

:woo

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
As stated, it has never thrown any codes. Digital Tech showed nothing!

Dave, the next step in my tracking of this problem were as follows. I removed the tank lift, thinking it may be causing issues with fuel pick up, or anything else. Took a day trip, it shut down, I was vertical, highway speed. Next step, replaced Turn sig/brake light/running light yada yada, intergrator, took another trip the next day, Shut down! Time will now tell, trying to arrange another ride this week, will see what happens. Without fail, on a constant ride without stoping for miles, the unit gets exteremly warm/hot to the touch and bike shut down. No shut down this last long ride of the day. Fingers are crossed.

I've made a correction, When I replaced the turn signal adaptor with a new one, it shut down, it was when I removed the mod and took a run the next day, it did NOT shut down!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any idea of the BAS location? If she shuts down again, I will look at that next. I think the first shut down was coincidental, when I was in turn, the rest were in the vertical position!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts