MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any ideas why my friggin new glide is idleing irratically???:bat

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Welcome craiger to the most wonderful HD fan place around. Don't be shy. Introduce yourself. We look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a 08 streetglide doing the same thing with just 600 miles on her talk about :mad:and the back wheel just started roaring on the left side sounds like its coming from the hub you can feel it in the handle bars:mad:

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts

There have been some issues with the new cable-less throttle. The dealers were supposed to get the fix from Harley about a month ago. I understand there will be no recall. They will just fix the ones that owners complain about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There have been some issues with the new cable-less throttle. The dealers were supposed to get the fix from Harley about a month ago. I understand there will be no recall. They will just fix the ones that owners complain about.
i called my dealer going to take the bike to them next week they said they had a service buillten on that problem and they could fix it. i believe with a computer hookup said it was no problem to fix ill let you know next week

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
One solution to dealing with this problem is to let the bike idle fall to its lowest point when stopping.

Do not use the "engine kill" switch to shut it off. If you use the switch, it resets the idle speed in the computor.

Turn off the engine with the ignition switch (after reaching the lowest speed).

This is only a temporary solution until you get it into the dealer for the fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
fixed the problem

One solution to dealing with this problem is to let the bike idle fall to its lowest point when stopping.

Do not use the "engine kill" switch to shut it off. If you use the switch, it resets the idle speed in the computor.

Turn off the engine with the ignition switch (after reaching the lowest speed).

This is only a temporary solution until you get it into the dealer for the fix.
finally got my bike to the dealer and they got the idle fixed. and they fixed the roaring noise on the back wheel they said the bealt was to tight

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey! Guys ! Problem Solved..i Took My 08. E- Glide To My Dealer,they Down Loaded A New Mapping In The Computer And It Runs Like A Top Now.no Fast Idleing Problems ,it Took 15mins.0$$$ Thanks For Your Replies.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dont have any idling problems on my 08,but was at the dealer yesterday and they told me that sometimes if the rider throttles forward it makes it high idle.He said that all you have to do is turn off the bike,turn on the ignition w/o starting the bike and throttle it 4x.this resets,no more hgh idle.He was telling me that most of the problems that have occurred causing the high idle is because riders have throttled forward.Dont know how true this is.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go to your local dealer, there is a new ecm download to take care of the irratic issue with the electronic control throttle. Have installed it in several 08 touring models and it has fixed the problem. The download is free, the servicing dealership should be checking the ecm calibration each time it is in for service and they should automatically perform any new ecm changes. I know our dealership does. Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
There was a problem Harley identified in the ECU's for this year. Most people kill the engine by flipping the run switch next to the accelerator, while their hand is still on the throttle. Unless you're paying attention, it is very possible to roll the throttle back slightly while reaching for the switch. When you kill the bike with while ideling slightly higher, that throttle position will be stored into memory in the ECU, and the bike will idle at that RPM from then on out.
The fix...
1) Turn the run switch next to the throttle to the on position-DO NOT START THE BIKE!
2) Turn the ignition dial to on (First Position), just until the Check Engine light goes out. Turn it back to OFF and wait for 10 seconds. Leaving the RUN switch on, repeat the above steps 4 times.

The dealership can download an upgrade into your ECU for free if you request it. The download is supposed to prevent the problem from reoccurring.
I hope this helps all with the same or similar problems.
Happy Riding!

-Chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
There was a problem Harley identified in the ECU's for this year. Most people kill the engine by flipping the run switch next to the accelerator, while their hand is still on the throttle. Unless you're paying attention, it is very possible to roll the throttle back slightly while reaching for the switch. When you kill the bike with while ideling slightly higher, that throttle position will be stored into memory in the ECU, and the bike will idle at that RPM from then on out.
The fix...
1) Turn the run switch next to the throttle to the on position-DO NOT START THE BIKE!
2) Turn the ignition dial to on (First Position), just until the Check Engine light goes out. Turn it back to OFF and wait for 10 seconds. Leaving the RUN switch on, repeat the above steps 4 times.

The dealership can download an upgrade into your ECU for free if you request it. The download is supposed to prevent the problem from reoccurring.
I hope this helps all with the same or similar problems.
Happy Riding!

-Chuck

+1..........Have had to do this several times because of hand on the throttle when hitting the kill switch........didn't know about the download....will ask about it next time I am at the dealers........(08 Ultra)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts