Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a fat bob great bike but noisey tranny lots of chatter especially in 5th and low rpms, dealer sez chararistic of tranny but I don't think so as not my 1st Harley.What do you think

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome to the forum dennis, Try heavy weight gear oil instead of 20-50 oil. I've been told it will quiet down the new tranny.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
dennis... Welcome. Give it some time. My '07 RK when new was tranny tight and noisy initially, but after the break-in service things loosened up and quieted down. If still an issue at 1000 miles, note your observations and past experiences to the tech.

1st and 5th gears are straight versus helicut, and this often is the source for a whining sound. Personally, I kinda like it (For I know I'm in 5th gear :)), but it has quieted down some over the miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately, it is characteristic of the new 6-speed. As you evidently know, the old 5-speed with ALL straight cut gears was very quiet, but somehow the new advanced tranny cannot rise to the same level of quality.:mad:
Can you say "Planned Obsolescence"? for the 5-speed and a quick journey to junk for the six.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
just bought a fat bob great bike but noisey tranny lots of chatter especially in 5th and low rpms, dealer sez chararistic of tranny but I don't think so as not my 1st Harley.What do you think
I have the same exact bike with no such problems. At 1000 miles I did put Harley Synthetic in it and did not like the notchy-ness so I switched to RedLine V-Twin Tranny oil. It was markedly better in my opinion. Sometimes I get a little clutch clunk when I use poor technique, but otherwise it is ok. I suggest you don't run it in 6th below 65 or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts