Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought my used 08 about a month ago .
original owner put V&H pipes on the bike and i am wondering whether the fuel supply should have been adjusted for the pipes.

last week i noticed that when i accelerated hard the bike would start to take off then would stall temporarily (hesitated).
today it seems to hesitate on just about any reasonably hard acceleration.

could this be a fuel supply issue?
or other thoughts?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
It is very likely that you need to readjust fuel flow, even more so if he changed the air filter also.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
What fueler do you have? I think on the SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) there is a digital "accelerator pump" setting you can dork with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup- air filter was changed too...

kinda what i thought-
thanks guys, will get it adjusted!

should i put a fuel controller on it too?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
should i put a fuel controller on it too?
Modern HD's run pretty lean due to emissions requirements. I use a tuner to adjust my AFR from 14.6 down to about 13.8 and get a much meatier power band and much less heat. Obviously uses a bit more fuel, but not appreciably so. The O2 sensors on the HD's are narrow band so they really can't react to an AFR setting at 13.8, but it is fat enough at that setting that I don't really worry about real-time AFR reading like I would if I was running lean like 14.6 If you are that lean you would want to detect any condition where it goes more lean.

I don't know how much you know about fuel injection, but the brother site of this one called 1130cc.com has some great primers on FI, albeit aimed at the VROD. Pretty much most of the information is valid though.

Here is a good place to start. http://1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44

·
COB
1,984 Posts
wow- great info custombikemike
thx!!
No problem. Don't let it get too complicated. Just remember the whole purpose is to squirt fuel into your intake tract at a certain time and for a certain period of time. The rest of the silliness is just the computer fiiguring out the above values.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i noticed that v&h sells a fuel supply controller...
just wondering what the advantage is of those things over just adjusting it at the shop?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts