Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here are my choices so far, Monster Oval, Jackpots or Supertraps. The last 2 interest as Fuel Moto has some package deals on them w/ the PCIII High flow cleaner.

If I put on a aftermarket muffler would it lessen the heat coming out from the stock headpipes? I remember on my 07 RK, man you get stuck in traffic at anything above 80 dergees or even less that heat can really freaking hurt you.

Also I'm looking for a quiet muffler, I had the Rinehart true duals on my 03 SERK and those hurt my ears after hour or so on the road. I hear that the Monster Ovals are supposed to have a nice sound.....

Any and all feedback appreciated.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Placing the aftermarket muffler wouldn't lessen the heat per se, but the placed Fuel Moto should lessen the leanness of the stock set-up, cooling things a bit.

Have the Supertrapp slip-ons on the RK here and would get them again. Deep and low. Not loud and barky/blatty. No bluing where they connect to the headers. Were rated the #1 slip-on for performance by Bagger Magazine. Here's a pic of them...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok but are they pretty quiet?

Placing the aftermarket muffler wouldn't lessen the heat per se, but the placed Fuel Moto should lessen the leanness of the stock set-up, cooling things a bit.

Have the Supertrapp slip-ons on the RK here and would get them again. Deep and low. Not loud and barky/blatty. No bluing where they connect to the headers. Were rated the #1 slip-on for performance by Bagger Magazine. Here's a pic of them...

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Definitely quieter than full pipe systems, slightly quieter than V&H, Rinehart, and other slip-ons I've heard, but to be sure, it isn't a "quiet" exhaust. For that I'd stick with stock, and FWIW, I believe the stock exhaust note on the 96" bikes are quite appealing. As H-D noted by going to the 96" engine, they were able to quiet down some engine racket and thus increase the volume through the exhaust cans without violating EPA standards. Have two riding friends with stock exhausts on their 96" bikes and they have excellent tone/volume.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but its fun to make some noise once and awhile. I was just looking for somthing a little louder than stock. Although it was fun running down the block at night with the SERK TD Rineharts setting off all the car alarms:p

Beautiful photo btw, are you running stock head pipes? At this point its the Jackpots or Supertrapps , personally I like the look of the supertrapps a bit better but who knows what Jamie will talk me into. He has some nice deales for the muffs, cleaner and pcIII.

I was thinking about going with the TD/Monster Ovals but Jesus that is a lot of $$. I still have to find a ABS handlebar for the bike and have Russell build me a seat. It seems that the dealers do not even have those new heritage bars for the RK w/ABS. They all tell me perhaps next year!

Definitely quieter than full pipe systems, slightly quieter than V&H, Rinehart, and other slip-ons I've heard, but to be sure, it isn't a "quiet" exhaust. For that I'd stick with stock, and FWIW, I believe the stock exhaust note on the 96" bikes are quite appealing. As H-D noted by going to the 96" engine, they were able to quiet down some engine racket and thus increase the volume through the exhaust cans without violating EPA standards. Have two riding friends with stock exhausts on their 96" bikes and they have excellent tone/volume.

·
Registered
67 Posts
V&H Monster ovals

Hi,
Been following this thread, for all of a minute. :1drink I just got back from the dealer. Installed new bars (Wild ones) and controls. The bars are great. Got to listen to the V&H big ovals and what a sound. Love them but did not want to go with a stage one. Did anyone figure out if you could simply bolt the pipes on and nothing else? I just get nutz thinking about all my friends that do the remap, or whatever and then the bike runs funny, starts funny or somehow seem to suffer some sort of ill effect. Meanwhile I am on my third Harley, never screwed with the engines on any of them and never seem to have any trouble. Like I said, the sound out of these things is to die for but not at the expense of reliability.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Ed... Bolt them on and ride away. Zero issues doing the same here. Take advantage of H-D's factory refined tuning. Yeah, maybe they're a little lean from the factory but I can't tell... and I've owned numerous H-D's over many years. So net, place the Big Ovals, don't bother with anything else, and you should be fine. It is when the intake or headers are modified where it is a good idea to tinker with the FI. If you find things are "funny" you can always have the FI adjusted later, but I don't anticipate you needing to do so.

·
Registered
38 Posts

That sure is one sweet a$$ looking Road King !!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the monster oval and they are quiet,nice tone and rumble but quiet none the least.With duals they are louder than with stock headers.I sold mine because they were just too quiet for my tastes and i have stock headers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts