Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Black Knight
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the dual gauge kit to finish the 4 gauges in the fairing of the Electra Glide Standard. Up until now I've been able to install all my accessories myself. This time I'm not so lucky. When I took off the front of the fairing I immediately knew my hands were too big to fit in the darn thing to get the oil & air gauges installed. I tried for about 2 hours to get them in but just can't get the nuts onto the anchor studs due to cramped quarters. Has anyone out there found the secret for getting these babies in there? I'm going to call the dealership to find out how much it will cost to bring everything in and let them do it. Not too thrilled about paying for it though.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I did mine years ago on a 2001 FLHS and used a magnetic socket to get it started.

·
The Black Knight
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, time for closure. The dealership told me it would be a minimum of $210.00 because they need to remove the outer fairing. I went out to the garage this morning and had them in and operational in about an hour and a half. I used double-sided tape to hold the nuts inside the socket and basically wasn't as gentle when I pushed the wiring harnesses out of the way. Now my instrument console is complete.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Good for you. Granted, the frustration of installing the kit is far more acceptable then shelling out $200+ to have someone else do it..........

·
Registered
39,471 Posts
Hell yeah! Well done.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
It funny what those dealers will make you do. When I heard what they wanted for the 1000 mile service, I bought everything I needed and with a little help here. It sure wasn't worth the 360 they wanted.

Good job. Glad you were able to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts