Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 1,000 miles on my '09 Nightster (thanks to the Harley 105th). A serious issue started with my bike around 500 miles. It will often get stuck on the downshift between 2nd and 1st somewhere in-between N and 1st. When this happens, it isn't in N, it isn't in 1st, and I can't get to either of those two. I almost got hit at a light trying to get the bike in gear and out of the intersection the other day. To get back in a gear, I have to let the cluch out for a quick second so the bike almost shuts off or it skips a little, then turn the bike off, shimmy it forward and back with the clutch out, and then eventually it pops into N or 1st. Once it took me 20-minutes!

Since the bike needs its 1,000 mile service, and since on that same day is when I almost got hit, I took it in to City Limits Harley Davidson in Palatine, IL where I bought the bike. They said they "adjusted" the transmission, in addition to my 1,000 mile service of course. I don't know what that means, but we'll see if it gets fixed. In my experience, every time a mechanic says they've "adjusted" something means the problem wasn't fixed, so we'll see. Maybe I'll end up flipping out at the dealer and making them give me the other black Nightster on the floor! Haha.

I'll update, but has anyone had this problem on any 1200 Sportster? Just in case City Limits doesn't fix my under warranty bike, any suggestions on a good Harley mechanic in northern/northwestern Illinois?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
On most if not all motorcycle trannies you need to pull the clutch in, in between each gear or it wont downshift properly. I'm not sure if your using that method or not. Also your breakin oil is probably wornout and some fresh oil in there might help.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EZE RIDER,

I of course pull the clutch in every time I shift, all the way. It happened most often prior to my 1,000 mile service. I had them use synthetic. Well, it happened twice today on my ride - though everything is much smoother and more refined after they "adjusted" my transmission. At the dealer, they said my tranny was "way off" from where it was supposed to be. Like I said, it's better, but it still gets stuck. The mechanic said this "happens" and that I should just accelerate and it will pop into gear. Well, frankly, that makes no sense to me. No transmission should not lock into a gear and require the driver to accelerate in order to do so. That's bloody murder for a tranny over time.

Any advice folks? I've NEVER heard ANYONE complain about this before, so this is not a "well, it just happens" issue.

·
Registered
40,764 Posts
When this happens are you trying to downshift more than one gear while stopped, like trying to shift down to first from third while stopped at a stoplight? Or downshifting thru multiple gears while keeping the clutch held in?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
When this happens are you trying to downshift more than one gear while stopped, like trying to shift down to first from third while stopped at a stoplight? Or downshifting thru multiple gears while keeping the clutch held in?
I was asking if you pull in the clutch for each downshift. Even if completly stopped they wont downshift properly if you dont. Some people try to downshift more than one gear at a time and thought maybe thats what was happening.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All,

Generally, I'm shifting down. I haven't been pulling the clutch in for EVERY downshift. I will give this a try. I had no idea you had to do this - not like a car, huh? Still, the clutch is pulled-in... why do I need to re-pull the clutch? As you can tell, I'm a new bike rider! I'll update to see if giving a "new pull" to the clutch fixes this issue. It hasn't happened accept for twice since I got the bike back from the 1,000 mi service and it's "transmission adjustment."

Dave63 - thanks for letting me know a tranny is not adjustable. If it happens just one more time, off to another dealer I go. Frankly, a 2009 bike shouldn't be having problems... at least until it is actually 2009!!!! :)

Know what's great about owning (well the bank owning) a Harley? Harley riders like you all!

·
Registered
333 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me 3 times between 600 and 1800 miles, hasn't done it since. I just figured it because I hold it wide open barely fan the clutch and powershift,OFTEN! Yes, I run the crap out of it, but it's just too much making this hawg sound like an automatic,LOL. I was just sure my tranny was gonna go, but so far so good.Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was asking if you pull in the clutch for each downshift. Even if completly stopped they wont downshift properly if you dont. Some people try to downshift more than one gear at a time and thought maybe thats what was happening.
i have an 09 nightster w/ 1600 miles on it, never had the problem and i've owned 3 1200 xl bikes. Let you mechanic ride it and then tell him its under warranty and its unsafe to ride and they'll fit it, you might have a chipped gear.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
i have an 09 nightster w/ 1600 miles on it, never had the problem and i've owned 3 1200 xl bikes. Let you mechanic ride it and then tell him its under warranty and its unsafe to ride and they'll fit it, you might have a chipped gear.

Thanks for stopping by and pointing me out to disagree with. The pleasure's all mine.

It's been my experience that when I'm cruising along in top gear and for some reason decide to stop by pulling in the clutch and using my brakes only to come to a stop without down shifting that it's normal to have to work the clutch a bit to get back to neutral.

Are you saying that you can easily shift gears up and down with the clutch pulled in while standing still?

·
Registered
40,764 Posts
Well, if you leave it in top gear and wait to shift down until after you come to a complete stop, then yes, you will have to work your clutch a bit to get it back to neutral, and possibly even to get the trans in the lower gears.

This is because when you are at a stop with the clutch pulled in, the gears in your transmission are no longer spinning. So it would be by pure chance that the input and output gears are meshed in this scenario.

Then by letting out the clutch a bit, you make the input gears turn enough to line up with the output gears... enabling you to down shift/shift into neutral etc....

If you downshift while you are slowing down, but still rolling, the output gears are still spinning and you shouldnt have this problem.

It's different than a manual transmission in a car or truck, because these have synchromesh gears to keep the input and output gears lined up. HD transmissions (or other motorcycle transmissions AFAIK) don't have synchromesh gears.

·
Registered
40,764 Posts

A chipped transmission gear can be heard. (don't ask how I know) :hidesbehind

It sounds like a lifter ticking, but only when you are moving.

·
OMR
951 Posts
check out zylstra hd in st. charles if you still have issues. Ron one of the mechanics there is awesome.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Something else you might try, if you have the clutch lever pulled in and you are at a complete stop, rock the bike forward or back just a little bit. Mine seems to not want to go from 1st to Neutral unless I do that.

·
Most Wanted
534 Posts
As you come to a stop or have to slow down, you may want to try this. Engage clutch, downshift, release clutch, let the engine brake begin to slow the bike down, and repeat for each gear. Also, when you downshift, make sure you "feel" it go into the next gear before releasing the clutch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My bike does that too..... you need to downshift as you come up to the stop not once you are already stopped. Mine will stick in a gear and I have to let out the clutch just a tad so it will sync with the motor and then continue the shift if I am completely stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 1,000 miles on my '09 Nightster (thanks to the Harley 105th). A serious issue started with my bike around 500 miles. It will often get stuck on the downshift between 2nd and 1st somewhere in-between N and 1st. When this happens, it isn't in N, it isn't in 1st, and I can't get to either of those two. I almost got hit at a light trying to get the bike in gear and out of the intersection the other day. To get back in a gear, I have to let the cluch out for a quick second so the bike almost shuts off or it skips a little, then turn the bike off, shimmy it forward and back with the clutch out, and then eventually it pops into N or 1st. Once it took me 20-minutes!

Since the bike needs its 1,000 mile service, and since on that same day is when I almost got hit, I took it in to City Limits Harley Davidson in Palatine, IL where I bought the bike. They said they "adjusted" the transmission, in addition to my 1,000 mile service of course. I don't know what that means, but we'll see if it gets fixed. In my experience, every time a mechanic says they've "adjusted" something means the problem wasn't fixed, so we'll see. Maybe I'll end up flipping out at the dealer and making them give me the other black Nightster on the floor! Haha.

I'll update, but has anyone had this problem on any 1200 Sportster? Just in case City Limits doesn't fix my under warranty bike, any suggestions on a good Harley mechanic in northern/northwestern Illinois?
I've got a 08 Nightster with 3500 miles. I've had this happen a few times, but, not lately. Yes, it scares the crap out of you when it happens. It's always at the worst time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts