Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just joined the forum; I figured it was time since I have been reading a lot here for awhile.
I have an 09 FLHR that I bought in November up here north of the border. Needless to say, I only got 500 miles on it before the roads got covered in snow. I removed the battery and connected it to a battery tender for the winter.
I got itchy to add a tachometer to it and installed a DAGMARS Tach with shift light (similar to HD mini-tach). I ran into the infamous 'missing pink wire' (tach signal), and read here where this pink wire in no longer - (as of 2004 ?). I connected a new pin to the ecm plug into position 3 and wired the tach successfully. When I installed the battery and tried to start the bike; it cranked fine, but no spark. I tested with a test plug and a voltage tester ( the pen type that glows and beeps when a voltage is detected. NO spark voltage.
I checked all fuses, connections at and around the battery, tried starting with tach disconnected; still no spark. Also, important to know is ; absolutely NO diag error codes. I inspected the ecm connector where I added the pin, and it all looks fine.
If you have any ideas before I go the the HD Dealer with my tail between my legs, I would welcome it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does. A Key Fob. With it nearby it cranks. With it NOT nearby it does not crank. I don't think this is the problem. Damn - I wish I would of tried starting it BEFORE I wired the tach. But like I said - I tried starting with/without the tach, same result - crank, no spark . New development - I don't hear the fuel pump come on whern RUN is switched on.
I also tried this 'password reset' thing; where if you disconnect the battery or any electronic componecnt, they need to be re-married. I tried the procedure but at step 5 , it didn't match the results indicated on the procedure. Maybe this is not the problem.
I Re-checked the ecm connector-looks good , pin 3 that I added looks ok.

hmmm....

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Check ECM fuse.

If you just installed a tach, and now it doesn't start, then it's suspect you did something wrong. It sounds like a grounded crank position sensor signal, since it prevents both spark and fuel.

Check the main fuse as well......

Worst case scenerio, disconnect the tach COMPLETELY and try it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this info will end this thread for now. I want to thank everyone who responded to this problem.

For those with 09 touring, beware of adding a tach.
I ended up taking the bike to the dealer, and he found a pin pushed up in the ecm connector the powers the ecm. The connector is a real bear to work on; avoid it if you can. It was my bad.
The 09 touring bikes have a new ecm - different from 08 and all others.
The wiring harness is all new - so older pinouts and wiring colors probably won't work.
Position 3 of the ecm does not work for a tach.
The service tech tried the green/violet wire at the ecm diagnostic port (serial bus) and the tach just bounced all over once the power was switched on. This did not work.
The technician tried to find tach installation instructions for an 09 FLHR and could not find one. He suggested that perhaps all 09 tachs will be serial bus only.
I suggested that we try pin #3 at the speedo connector, which has been successful in the past. No way- with no real proof that it will work for an 09.
I did not want to fry anything after all this.
So - to conclude , I removed the tach, removed the wire from the ecm connector , and I will wait to see if anything comes up to confirm the proper tach installation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts