Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back story. At 9,000 miles the Harley shop replaced a defective front tire and it took forever. Finally the mechanic came out and said that he had found a bad front wheel bearing so he replaced it also. Now the bike has 30,000 miles on it and yesterday during a PGR ride I heard a snap and it turns out it was the other front bearing. I took it all apart and I don't see a spacer between the bearing and hub that is mentioned in the manual. It does have the long spacer to go from bearing to bearing, but noting behind the off side bearing. Isn't there supposed to be one there or is my manual wrong?
Thanks!

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
All I know is the spacer in the middle between the two bearings. I also learned long ago, never replace one bearing.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Manual is right. Go back to the shop where it was replaced, look in the mechanics tool box. Wouldn't be surprised to find it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
22,083 Posts
There should be a spacer between the bearing and the fork slider on both sides unless your bike has ABS. In that case the ABS sender is the spacer for that side.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the dealer after they opened, and the parts fiche does not show a spacer washer for the cast wheel without ABS. Not sure why the manual shows it except it just says touring models, so maybe a spoke wheel uses one. The right side bearing presses all the way in and then the pipe spacer goes in. Then the left side bearing goes in until the center race and pipe spacer touch. Then both outer fork spacers go on and then into the forks it goes. It was an easy job and I installed both new bearings from NAPA. Took it for about 50 mile spin and all is good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts