Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
roadking61
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, im new to the forum and need a little advice. I wanted to change rear brake pads and after loosening the pin and taking out the two retaining bolts, i found there wasnt enough clearance between the caliper bracket and the rear wheel to get the caliper off. Im hoping there is a trick to this, and i dont have to remove a bunch of other parts...Can anyone give me some ideas on how to get the caliper off? Thank you

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
hi everyone, im new to the forum and need a little advice. I wanted to change rear brake pads and after loosening the pin and taking out the two retaining bolts, i found there wasnt enough clearance between the caliper bracket and the rear wheel to get the caliper off. Im hoping there is a trick to this, and i dont have to remove a bunch of other parts...Can anyone give me some ideas on how to get the caliper off? Thank you
First, the obligatory "get a service manual". Money well spent. If all you are doing is replacing the pads, you do not need to remove the caliper. Once the rear pin is removed, the old pads can be slid out (after using them to depress the pistons). New pads slide in the same way. If you have ABS on the rear ignore all that and let the shop do it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
roadking61
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay...thanks for the advice. I do have a service manual and all it says is unbolt and remove caliper. I thought that i might be able to slip the pads out without removing the caliper,but being this is the first time im changing them I thought it would be better to remove caliper so i can actually see what im doing. But, if this is the way to do it, i will give it a shot..Thanks again

·
Retired citizen
22,057 Posts
I usually pull the axle out of the wheel allowing the wheel more movement. Easier to remove the caliper assy.

·
roadking61
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Ardeum, That is what I will be trying. Sure beats taking the rear wheel off. Do I have to take master cylinder cap off when I spread the pads apart?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts