Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 09 street glide and came from an hard tail chopper with hooker pipes..
Needless to say im luvn it, but it sounds like a scooter...

Any help...looking for the Harley sound....and mild performance gains.

:confused:

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Badbagger, welcome to the site. Will get all kinds of responses to this, for exhaust notes are a subjective thing. Then there is the appearance factor and performance gains.

Here's what works for me. After numerous H-D's and more than numerous exhaust systems, from slip-ons to full 2-2 exhausts, and full 2-1 exhausts, I went with the Supertrapp SE slip-ons for the Road King. They were rated #1 by Hot Bagger Magazine...

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=43

A nice and rich, deep and low, classic Harley exhaust note without being very loud. Because I didn't modify the air intake or swap the already efficient H-D headers, the FI accomodated the slip-ons just fine. Gained a sweet exhaust note, shaved a few lbs versus the heavy stock mufflers, and perhaps a few ponies. Very pleased and would do it again without hesitation. I ride the King to cruise, not to blast the throttle and see how fast I can get from A to B.

To be sure, a full pipe system, 2-2 or 2-1, will deliver extra performance with the entire stock system replaced, saving lbs, going with a freer breathing air cleaner, and having the fuel injection adjusted. Will cost $$$. The exhaust note will tend to be louder and more robust. Again, a subjective thing. Many fine full pipe systems, from Vance and Hines to Rineharts, Hookers, Thunderheaders, etc. HTH.

How they look...

·
Registered
40,713 Posts
You can't beat the price/performance ratio of a slip on exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys ...... the King looks Bad Ass Sfarson

Im leaning towards the slip ons...
The dealer wants to put rush slip ons with the down load and stage one for about a grand.
Any comments?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Rush is an excellent slip-on. There's different Rush baffle options for volume you may want to look into and ask about.

If you're going to modify your intake, the air filter/cleaner, then yes, I would go ahead with the download/stage 1 upgrade.

If you want to save some $$$, and are content with the air intake as is (I am with the King), then just replace the stock mufflers with the Rush's and see how you like it. No need for buying the new air filter/cleaner, or the download and FI adjustments. You'll save about $600. If you find you have serious popping on decel, and aren't pleased with the performance, then I'd go ahead with the intake mod and download.

BTW, You can hear the slip-ons on the touring big twin, similar to your sweet SG, in this vid I recorded climbing Loveland Pass...

FLHR Ascent of Loveland Pass - Streaming Video

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Badbagger, welcome to the site. Will get all kinds of responses to this, for exhaust notes are a subjective thing. Then there is the appearance factor and performance gains.

Here's what works for me. After numerous H-D's and more than numerous exhaust systems, from slip-ons to full 2-2 exhausts, and full 2-1 exhausts, I went with the Supertrapp SE slip-ons for the Road King. They were rated #1 by Hot Bagger Magazine...

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=43

A nice and rich, deep and low, classic Harley exhaust note without being very loud. Because I didn't modify the air intake or swap the already efficient H-D headers, the FI accomodated the slip-ons just fine. Gained a sweet exhaust note, shaved a few lbs versus the heavy stock mufflers, and perhaps a few ponies. Very pleased and would do it again without hesitation. I ride the King to cruise, not to blast the throttle and see how fast I can get from A to B.

To be sure, a full pipe system, 2-2 or 2-1, will deliver extra performance with the entire stock system replaced, saving lbs, going with a freer breathing air cleaner, and having the fuel injection adjusted. Will cost $$$. The exhaust note will tend to be louder and more robust. Again, a subjective thing. Many fine full pipe systems, from Vance and Hines to Rineharts, Hookers, Thunderheaders, etc. HTH.

How they look...

DAMN, don't mean to hijack this thread, but that is a BEAUTIFUL picture!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did not do slip ons. Did a two into One THUNDERHEADER. Sounds good. Runs Strong. It is loud . BUT I LIKE IT>. They also make a 2 into 1 with a falsee left pipe to give it the dual exhaust look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ralph when you get a picture please post it. I'm thinking of doing the same. How did it change the sound? Deeper, louder, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 08 street glide and went with the Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals. It's the 2 into 2 and sounds pretty sweet. Not too loud when idling but has that loud growl when you get on it. I paid about $1000 installed including the download.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts