Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not owned a harley for the last 25 years but am planning to buy a 2009 superglide. I have been a BMW man and have been very happy with these machines. The layoffs at HD and our terrible economy have prompted me to "buy american" thus my interest in the SG. I,m not settleing for something less, I have a riding buddy that ownes a SG and he likes it ALOT! Years ago (25) one had to be a mechanic to own a harley and thankfully so that is no longer the situation....this is not a knock against HD, just a fact IMO. Please advise me on the pros and cons...be specfic. Looking foward to your comments!

:Thanks

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome Jack! Where abouts in NY?

All HD's are now very reliable with improvements over the years so it boils down to taste and you seem to have that covered. I think you will be very happy with a SG.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You'll be happy with whatever you choose. For an extra peace of mind, buy the extended warranty. I did, and now it's covered top to tires for four years.

Good luck with your choice.

:welcome

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
jacksgp... Very familiar with the Munich product. Several have passed through the barn here. Have found BMW's and H-D's both very reliable. As Cycle World noted recently, all bikes are excellent nowadays, what matters most is the kind of bike you buy/ride.

You know the BMW line-up and the classes of bikes they offer. H-D primarily offers cruisers and tourers. In these classes, the H-D is top shelf, brimming with features and technologies the metric cruising competition doesn't offer... six speed transmissions, ABS, brembo braking, throttle-by-wire, slipper clutches (V-Rod), etc. Then there's the paint and fit/finish second to none. But to be sure, these are cruising/touring bikes. Understand them as such. They're built and designed so one savors the ride, content to keep things below 100mph, rumbling along, comfortably, in the bike, with parts and accessories out the rear end so you can make the Milwaukee ride, your ride. Ask if any specific questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jacksgp... Very familiar with the Munich product. Several have passed through the barn here. Have found BMW's and H-D's both very reliable. As Cycle World noted recently, all bikes are excellent nowadays, what matters most is the kind of bike you buy/ride.

Sfarson...are you the rider that made those outrageous videos I saw on the BMW site?

·
Registered
259 Posts
EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SCREAMIN' EAGLE SUPER TUNER (SEST) BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK - FROM HARLEY DAVIDSON SCREAMIN' EAGLE PRO RACING PARTS CATALOG

A. SCREAMIN’ EAGLE PRO SUPER TUNER (SHOWN WITH CABLE KIT AND SOFTWARE)
A. SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® PRO
SUPER TUNER
Get the biggest advantage at the race track with the
Screamin’ Eagle® Pro EFI Super Tuner. The hardware and software in the Super Tuner feature a completely new design that makes EFI tuning faster and easier, through dozens of brand new features and innovative tuning enhancements.
The Super Tuner includes an ergonomically improved Vehicle Communication Interface (VCI) box. The new VCI allows USB connectivity to your PC and contains on board memory for a full 15 minutes of data recording, tracking up to 26 data variables. Data recording is conveniently activated with a push of a button, allowing the VCI to be taken to the track to gather data during true race conditions. Cable Kit (P/N 32184-08) is sold separately and provides all necessary connections between Motorcycle, VCI, and PC / Laptop.
The New Super Tuner Software is easy to use with a large icon layout, compatible with touch screen laptops, the ability to work in 4 windows (tables) at one time, and enhanced help tools to keep you on track. Data and Tuning functions are combined into a single application, insuring you are only 2 clicks away from any major tuning function. With a click of a button, the new software automatically connects to the internet and updates to the most current version as well as
retrieves the newest calibrations developed by professional
Screamin’ Eagle calibrators. Software contains built-in model recognition that filters calibrations, listing those that are applicable to your model. State of the art graphing capabilities illustrate tables clearly, highlighting areas for improvement, and are fully scalable and customizable. Additional features include editable calibration text, custom note fields, drag and drop, cut and paste, and printing capability.
To get you on the track quickly, Screamin’ Eagle offers
a comprehensive computer based training DVD, (P/N
32101-08). For race application only.
32109-08A $459.95
Fits ’02-later EFI Touring Models and ’01-later EFI Softail®,
Dyna®, XL and VR models.
Shown with:
SCREAMIN’ EAGLE PRO
SUPER TUNER SOFTWARE CD
This software is required for all new 2009 model year
updates for the Super Tuner EFI tuning capabilities. Software includes new 2009 race use only calibrations along with all previous race use caibration software from ‘02-‘08. For race application only.
32111-09 $24.95
Fits ‘02-later EFI Touring Models and ‘01-later EFI Softail,
Dyna, XL, and VR models.
SCREAMIN’ EAGLE PRO SUPER TUNER CABLE KIT
32184-08 $39.95
SCREAMIN’ EAGLE PRO SUPER TUNER TRAINING DVD
32101-08 $29.95

Hope this helps:USA:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've owned a lot of bikes and still have my '87 BMW K75 bought new. In that you're happy with the BMW marque - you are probably well aware a SG (Harley) is a completely different animal. Your expectations and how/what you plan on using (for what purpose) the bike for will of course have a major impact on your satisfaction. I would suggest renting a dyna for the weekend before you do something you might regret (a few hundred bucks vs $15K). As far as the wrenching thing - these new ones are pretty much bullet proof - never have had any type of problem with any of my later model ones. Just my opinion -

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome

Jacksgp, welcome. I bought a 2008 Super Glide last July and it is great. As you will see I added some goodies like , new seat, back rest. etc. etc. Rides wonderfully and comfortable. Great choice to go with the Dyna family.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jack. I've been a BMW rider for many years. I've also owned many Harleys over the years. I currently have a new Superglide which I enjoy quite a bit, with Rush mufflers, SE Air Kit, and stage 1 flash. These minor add-ons woke up the bike. Good bang for the buck. The pros are exactly as sfarson said:

"But to be sure, these are cruising/touring bikes. Understand them as such. They're built and designed so one savors the ride, content to keep things below 100mph, rumbling along, comfortably, in the bike, with parts and accessories out the rear end so you can make the Milwaukee ride, your ride."

Fit/finish is good, but it's no BMW. Same with suspension and brakes. But it's the way Harleys are, and we all enjoy them for what they are and do, warts and all. I've owned a Star Roadliner and a Vulcan 2000. Both bikes, from a performance standpoint, did EVERYTHING better than my FXD. But it's just not the same. There's just something about that sound and feel. I don't look at Harleys as a type of cruiser, rather, to me, they are a type of BIKE.

I DO suggest a decent test ride. Good luck. You should be able to find some deals out there.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Superglides are nice, but there's no comparing a BMW to a Harley. I'm pro-American, and pro-Harley, but BMW is a breed all it's own.

Smoother.

More comfortable.

Good resale.

Longevity with minimal repairs.

Maybe not so many bewbies at bike rallies, but BMW is a good bike.

With a BMW, you'll miss out on things like vibration, harder suspension, smooth acceleration and having your legs hurt after 60 miles.

Buying a Harley has to be for different reasons then buying a BMW.

Don't get me wrong......a Dyna is a good bike for the $12900 you'll spend new, but you can buy more bike for the dollar, when compared to something that was built for touring.......especially be the Germans....

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 Fxdc

I have the Dyna SuperGide Custom and also have had a lot of experience with various BMW's. I like both; however, my passenger prefers the BMW's by a wide margin over the H-D primarily because of the vibration coming thru the backrest. Also the Dyna has the passenger footpegs mounted to the swingarm. Because of the above mentioned things, I would opt for the touring models if I had to do it over again. For the 09's, it is basically four rubber engine mounts vs. just two for the Dyna.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
If you really like BMW's you will abhor an HD. They are the yin and yang of motorcycles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts