Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a 10¢ 1/8"x3/4" fender washer to expand the rubber stopper on my loose fitting oil temp dipstick.
Just use a flat bladed screw driver to wedge the washer inside the rubber stopper like you would if you were putting a tire on a rim.

Works like a champ, fits nice and snug again! :thumb

Level of difficulty: 1 beer.

DSCN1577s.jpg

·
Registered
134 Posts
now that an idea mine kept spitting it out on the ground. I used a very thin o ring and that works pretty good. ill cut me a washer on lathe today and try that too.
Yep, I used 2 O-rings on mine. Now it fits snug and no more oil seeping down the side of the oil tank.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
I have used a rubber band wrapped around top of stopper, get you home for a temporary fix. Unless your to lazy to go buy a O-rings, working for a few months on mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've read this thread awhile ago and the other day I took a long ride down to LBI and on my way back home stopped for fuel and noticed my dipstick was letting oil spit all the side of the bike. Glad I remembered this thread I forgot the exact size of the washer needed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
it works

My gauge dip stick started to jump out on start up. I did this mod and it works. Almost too good :laughing. I had to lube the rubber stopper to get it to go in ,Nice snug fit.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'll have to see if I have a washer in all my coffee cans if not its off to Lowes for one I've been noticing some oil seepage on the side of my tank after a long hot ride. Hell six more months and she'll be twenty years old.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If your dip stick is old the rubber will be hard and difficult to install the washer but it will go in. What prompted me to do it is i changed my oil and usually i sit on my bike when i start it. My leg is up against the dip stick and i feel it move slightly on start up.well i reached over and started it and oil puked out of the dip stick and all over the right side of my spotless motorcycle.

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Was oil blowback from the oil tank ? could you see oil on the oil tank with pattern of coming top down ? I just have this issue .
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts