Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 1000 mile check simply an oil change, or is it much more involved that would require a 3 hours of service? After I had the work done, I did get a check sheet of all the things that were done. But, does it really take three hours?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just had mine done Saturday and took about the same amount of time. My understanding that a lot more than fluid change is done. A lot of re-torqueing bolts, wheels checked, brakes, etc and a test ride. My odometer did reflect 2 miles ridden so there seemed to be a bit to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had mine done Saturday and took about the same amount of time. My understanding that a lot more than fluid change is done. A lot of re-torqueing bolts, wheels checked, brakes, etc and a test ride. My odometer did reflect 2 miles ridden so there seemed to be a bit to it.
Thanks, mine had the same two miles ridden. A friend of mine who owns a BMW indicated that BMW does the same thing. In fact, if they do all of the things that are listed in the check sheet, it does take about three hours to do it all.

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
But it does make you wonder whether or not all the checked items were done, or did they just check the box(s) and charge you for it. There is a certain amount of "trust" involved. My dealer lost my trust for him and hasn't seen me since.

·
Intl Man of Mystery
27 Posts
I've always been the type to do my own work. With that said, it's sad that we have to wonder if we get what we pay for when farming out labor. Word of mouth goes a long way...find people who know which shops to trust.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I've always done my own work as well but for that first service on a new bike, I wanted it on its history file that it was done. So I had the HD guys do it. Besides, they updated the boom radio and did the brake line recall.

Il probably do the next few services.

·
Registered
9,332 Posts
My 1st New Harley was in 1988. Amd I asked the same question. The dealer I bought it from told me. IT"S always good to have them do the 1st one. Then just keep your rec's if you do it yourself. Keep a record of what you do and when. PLUS that helps for RESALE also

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Peace of mind YES

Master tech for HD (over 40 yrs)lives across the street... he did my 1k mile check-up... checking all the spokes..clutch..neck bearing etc. I bought the parts ..Service kit,4qts of engine oil,oil filter and 2 qts of trans and primary fluid...put on 2845 miles over 18 days out west BadLands,Custer State Park Loop, Needles Highway Slyvian Lake,Iron Mountain Parkway/Pigtails Crazyhorse.to Spearfish Canyon Sturgis,Devils Tower and every twisty road there is out that way....not an ounce of oil used...or hiccup in the performance of the bike. Just had 'em do everything again except trans change upon return...1/3 rd the cost $$$ of dealership prices !!!! AAAAhhh peace of mind

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Master tech for HD (over 40 yrs)lives across the street... he did my 1k mile check-up... checking all the spokes..clutch..neck bearing etc. I bought the parts ..Service kit,4qts of engine oil,oil filter and 2 qts of trans and primary fluid...put on 2845 miles over 18 days out west BadLands,Custer State Park Loop, Needles Highway Slyvian Lake,Iron Mountain Parkway/Pigtails Crazyhorse.to Spearfish Canyon Sturgis,Devils Tower and every twisty road there is out that way....not an ounce of oil used...or hiccup in the performance of the bike. Just had 'em do everything again except trans change upon return...1/3 rd the cost $$$ of dealership prices !!!! AAAAhhh peace of mind
Great to know. I'm concerned that by not taking it to an authorized HD dealer would null and void my extended warranty.

·
Retired citizen
24,502 Posts
It doesn't void the warranty but the 1k service is probably the most important one. The 1k is the first time a tech checks the bike over.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,198 Posts
I've been doing my own services for years. Sitting there with the manual in my lap and tools at the ready, it takes pretty close to 3 hours to go through the entire list of to do's including changing the juices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.