Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this weekend getting in the 50's I should get my 1000 miles. My question do I have to go to the dealership that I bought the bike or can I go to any Harley dealership.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Any. Or even do it yourself.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,466 Posts
If you have some mechanical ability and can obtain a service manual, do it yourself. Great way to get to know your bike and you save tons of bucks doing it yourself.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Learn how to do all of your scheduled services at home, and you will have most of the money for the goodies you want to buy for it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am doing my own now but the 1000 service on mine was free so let them do it then start doing your own imo

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have only let a dealer service a bike for me ONE time. That was when I was 20 and had more money than brains and thought I have more important things to do like chasing girls than work on my bike.

Get a service manual, first time always takes a little time but once you lean your bike you can work on it a lot quicker. Even if you are an experienced mechanic and you get a hold of a bike you have never touched, it will take him a bit longer than normal too.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I agree. I had the 1k and 5k done. When I did the 10k myself I was able to replace all of the stripped nuts and oil pan and over-torqued screws, etc., that were left over from those two service visits. I do the work myself now.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
edslow, welcome from Virginia! Enjoy your ride, and if nobody said it before me, doing the service yourself brings personal satisfaction, happy pockets, good looking toys for the bike........

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 ultra limited 1,000 mi service maintenance

I've done all my bike maintenance since the '70s. saved tons of $$.
I got the 2014 service manual which says no maint required on the hyd clutch cable. But, what about the clutch itself? The manual gives clutch adjustment instruction for the road king, which does not have a hyd clutch cable, but, not the ultra. The question is: Does the ultra clutch have an adjuster screw where you turn it in til it touches then back off 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
thanks for you help before i open up the clutch cover.

·
Registered
328 Posts

I got the 2014 service manual which says no maint required on the hyd clutch cable. But, what about the clutch itself? The manual gives clutch adjustment instruction for the road king, which does not have a hyd clutch cable, but, not the ultra. The question is: Does the ultra clutch have an adjuster screw where you turn it in til it touches then back off 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

I have a 14 SG and have the manual as well. My understanding and from talking to others is no adjustment needed. Just change fluid every few years it says in the manual. The dealer told me not to worry about the fluid unless it gets low or leaks.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

Let's confirm this. My BIL has a SE Fat Bob with hydraulic clutch. He needs to know if he needs to do an adjustment as well.

Who knows for certain?

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
Take it to the dealer. It's the first service and they will check your scooter from top to bottom. This will give you the bases of cuttings in the oils to tire wear and loose fasteners. As well as the will check for any recalls. Just my two cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts