Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what it might cost for my 1000 mile service. Done by the Harley dealer. Thanks

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,855 Posts
Depends on the dealer. I've seen it free and you pay for the fluids used. Also have seen it from $300-600 depending on dealership. I'd advise you invest in a service manual and do it yourself if you feel comfortable mechanically. Best way I know to get to know your scoot.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
first and last time I had the dealer do a 1K for me (2012) it cost 369.00 with synthetics. after that said oh hell no. It costs me around 100.00 to do it myself.

·
Señor Member
19,746 Posts
Can anyone tell me what it might cost for my 1000 mile service. Done by the Harley dealer. Thanks

You've already heard the approximate cost. The manual is about $55. Just sayin.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We usually let them do the first one, then get a hd service manual and do all the rest yourself...most of the items are super simple...
The other good thing is if you do it yourself, you know it was done...not skipped over...
Check around though, I have seen it as little as 250 and as high as 500...all for the same tasks...
Find a good independent hd mechanic...they are worth their weight in gold...mine has saved me thousands and he can be trusted...

·
Registered
270 Posts
The 10K service for mine at the dealer was quoted as 450.00. I did it myself.
+1 here. I'm not sure what goes into the 1k service, but i did the 10k service to my 09 sporty and it was pretty easy goin with the right tools and the right guidance. My local Harley wanted $600 to do the service, i essentially told em to eat a ^@#^.

If you are good with tools, and you HAVE them, or at least a have a FRIEND who's got em... then do it yourself. it's SO PLAINLY JANELY laid out in the service manual. You DO have a service manual, don't you??? if you don't, i highly highly highly highly highly highly recommend getting one PRONTO!

·
Banned
71 Posts
You really should have the Parts Book to go with the Service Manual. Very good expanded views in it . :thumb

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would do the 1k service through the dealer so you don't void the factory warranty but after that do it all yourself

·
Señor Member
19,746 Posts
I would do the 1k service through the dealer so you don't void the factory warranty but after that do it all yourself

Rubbish. Doing your own service does nothing to your warrantee.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Rubbish. Doing your own service does nothing to your warrantee.
True that. do it yourself save receipts
for oils and filter. then the money you save take the wife out to diner.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you have had bikes you can do this. Even though this is my first Harley I decided to do it when the dealer said it was $300+. Found the few simple tools I needed at Ace and Lowe's. If you have a lift, jack or chock it makes it easier. Really you can do this. I only had the owner's manual and it was easy enough. BOL

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not wanting to slam my HD dealer, but on my 2nd bike from them, the handlebars were not centered. I took it back to them and the mechanic who came out got a real attitude. Now, 600+ miles later, the screw holding my seat on is loose. Yes, my dyna shakes like crazy but...

The one best pieces of advice my dad gave me was that no one would take care of your stuff better than you. He was right. Every time I read a thread in this forum, I am that much closer to doing my 1000 mile service myself. I am not scared to do it, I am fairly mechanically inclined. Hoping that having worked on a 71 Firebird and Ford F150, I can rise up to the challenge.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Vincent1966
You owning a Ford you definitely had to work on it. So no doubt ur up to the HD challenge

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Note this day in history, when I, Vincent1966, received the remark that put me over the top and confirmed that I am definitely doing my own 1000 mile service.

Any other remarks will do nothing but add to the smile on my face from looking forward to doing my own 1000 mile service. :bike-038:

·
Banned
71 Posts
Note this day in history, when I, Vincent1966, received the remark that put me over the top and confirmed that I am definitely doing my own 1000 mile service.

Any other remarks will do nothing but add to the smile on my face from looking forward to doing my own 1000 mile service. :bike-038:
First order of business then is to acquire the MoCo Service Manual, the Parts Book and the Electrical Manual . :thumb :thumb :)

:biker:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts