Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work away from home so I only get to ride my 2006 883 on weekends. I have been in the process of installing dual discs on my Sporty, and have been waiting patiently for a 12mm banjo bolt I forgot to order. It was waiting for me when I got home last night.

I got the rest of the parts installed, the brakes bled and was anxious to go out for a ride, in spite of my long commute home and even longer work day.

I wheeled the bike out and started to fire her up. No joy. This bike lights instantly, and when I saw gas running onto the ground, I knew I had a problem.

I have had the float stick before, but was able to clear it quickly and get back on the road. Not so this time.

It was late so I shelved it until the morning. Next day I pulled the carb off and cleaned it thoroughly. Put it back on, leaked immediately.

I repeated that process at least 8 more times, changing float needles, cleaning, no joy.

Finally, I looked carefully at the needle valve seat and saw a very small speck of black. I got a q-tip and rubbed it on the seat. There was the faintest speck of black on the cotton.

I blew out the seat, reassembled, adjusted the float level and put it back together.

No leak. It was not dirt on the cotton. It looked the faint trace of a sharpie. Whatever it was, it is gone now.

Ordeal...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely a piece of the hose. Might want to replace it.
It was way too small to be hose (hose is new). It looked more like a smear. It was so light and thin that it was barely visible.

It had no mass per se. It was not proud on the seat. Way weird.

What i did find that was equally unusual was a ton of crap in the vent hose behind the gas line. The entire plastic fitting was full of crud. That did look like hose -- but that crap could not feed into the float bowl.

The previous owner (I'm third) had put a screw into the overflow hose, forcing the gas into the intake manifold rather than out onto the ground properly. I feel like shipping the screw back to him with instructions on how to insert it into some small orifice on his body...

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
trust bob... change the hose.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It could have been a piece that came during refueling and dropped into the tank and worked its way if you don't have a filter. A hose that is not made for gasoline can deteriorate like that and cause the same kind of problem. Be sure to use stock parts when it comes to fuel tanks and hoses.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could have been a piece that came during refueling and dropped into the tank and worked its way if you don't have a filter. A hose that is not made for gasoline can deteriorate like that and cause the same kind of problem. Be sure to use stock parts when it comes to fuel tanks and hoses.
new gas line, filter on petcock is clean.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Very likely something came loose, I still bet a small piece of hose. Since you changed the hose, most likely left over from the old one. Which vent hose are you speaking of? The hose on the back of the petcock, would be a vacuum source for the factory vacuum operated petcock. If you have changed the petcock you either used a new vacuum type, which would need the vacuum line or a non-vacuum type, in which case the vacuum line isn't needed and should be plugged. Or are you talking about the bowl vent? Which needs to be open, either to the intake or fresh air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts