Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 12v source on the bike to tie into for GPS/phone power. There is a red wire with a spade connector on the right side of the triple tree not connected to anything. Is this safe to use?

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Test the red wire with a meter, should read battery volts with the ignition on and zero with the ignition off.
FYI, power wires are usually orange with a white stripe on Harleys.
There's a O/W wire taped to the headlight harness that's for HDI lights that can be used as a power source.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Test the red wire with a meter, should read battery volts with the ignition on and zero with the ignition off.
FYI, power wires are usually orange with a white stripe on Harleys.
There's a O/W wire taped to the headlight harness that's for HDI lights that can be used as a power source.
Sometimes you make me feel inadequate with your basic facts. :thumbsup

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Well I'll just try to liven those facts up a bit then. :D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
That o/w wire I mentioned is in the headlight circuit harness, it's for the international (HDI) models. It's an unused connection in the states but it's in all the harnesses. It's a 15a fused ignition on circuit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok I found a cord online that plugs into the battery tender pigtail and has a cigarette lighter jack on the other end. I'll run it under the tank and store it in the windshield bag where I can make the connection to the gps cigarette plug. Problem solved. Thanks for all the input.

2013 FLHRC.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Remember that the tender pigtail is hot all the time, ignition on or off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts