Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Meh... I had the 117 stage 3 kit on my 2019 RKS. Just upgraded to S&S 128 w/DynoJet tuner. Much better option. HD is very locked down to EPA concerns.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
I may have over looked something, I often do, but why do a crate engine for almost new models, why not big inch, big HP direct replacements for the not quite so new 103s?
Just asking for a friend.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meh... I had the 117 stage 3 kit on my 2019 RKS. Just upgraded to S&S 128 w/DynoJet tuner. Much better option. HD is very locked down to EPA concerns.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I hear the same from many people. I'm sure the S&S will void the factory warranty. I'm not ready to do that unless i wait til the warranty is over. The 114 is a beast already, so i'm not worried about the HD 131ci Stage 4 kit being under-powered.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have over looked something, I often do, but why do a crate engine for almost new models, why not big inch, big HP direct replacements for the not quite so new 103s?
Just asking for a friend.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
They have a 131ci crate engine as well as the 131ci Stage 4 kit for the 114. I was thinking the same thing about the crate engine. I guess if you have a blown engine or want to build your own bike, then that is a great option.

·
weird member
2,793 Posts
Not to knock the 131", I'm certainly not pushing that kind of power on an 80"...

The main thing going for it is that, (I'm assuming if installed by a dealership), it's covered under warranty.

And I am sure there are people that would rather have an HD engine than an S&S regardless of specs simply because of brand loyalty, or wanting all HD parts and no aftermarket, or maybe some just want the biggest cubes for bragging regardless of power. Probably not a lot of people, but some.

If the dealer takes a new bike and puts a 131" in it before it hits the showroom floor, could maybe be a better selling point for the bike it is in than for buying the engine or kit itself.

I've yet to put my butt on an M8, but I'm sure even the 114" stock screams compared to my built Evo (in a softail I mean, not talking about touring).

Like yeah, the crate engine is $6K, and you could spend the same amount as the kit price on just building a 114" or 128" with greater power than the 131". But I would rather not knock the MoCo on the power numbers of their 131", they have to deal with the EPA, whereas a builder... not so much.

I think for a factory engine limited by the EPA and covered under warranty, the numbers it puts out are pretty good.

·
weird member
2,793 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,741 Posts
Just saw a sheet on one 119 hp 132 tq. Hell my 110 TC has more than that
Yeah, but we could free up that 131 and it’d perform a lot better than those numbers, I bet.

·
weird member
2,793 Posts
Yeah, but we could free up that 131 and it’d perform a lot better than those numbers, I bet.
Those numbers that I posted, by the way, were for the crate 131 with whatever cam comes in it.

I dunno if the kit also includes a cam, or even what is in the kit beyond pistons and jugs, or if either is also based on a Screamin' Eagle head or something.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are the details of what's included:
Features new CNC-ported heads with 1 mm bigger valves and fully machined combustion chambers. Coupled with the kit's high-lift SE8-517 cam, high compression pistons and a 64 mm throttle body and intake manifold, this combination delivers a thrilling 131 ft-lb of torque and 121 HP rear-wheel output when paired with
Screamin' Eagle® Street Cannon Mufflers

·
weird member
2,793 Posts
Here are the details of what's included:
Features new CNC-ported heads with 1 mm bigger valves and fully machined combustion chambers. Coupled with the kit's high-lift SE8-517 cam, high compression pistons and a 64 mm throttle body and intake manifold, this combination delivers a thrilling 131 ft-lb of torque and 121 HP rear-wheel output when paired with
Screamin' Eagle® Street Cannon Mufflers
Thought so, same as the full crate engine.

And I'm sure the MoCo tune for the engine is also probably EPA restricted too.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It seems to me that if you have an M8 and you absolutely have to have the warranty, then you have to play ball with the MoCo and the EPA. You can only go so far, so fast, and so broke. I get it. I might be a little more likely to ignore a warranty in favor of bigger power on an established platform like the TC. The M8 is still a little too new for me spend all that money in the showroom only to leave the security of a factory warranty in favor of more HP.

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a NEW CVO limited Ultra last week with the 131 installed from the dealer. Wow it’s fast and has a ton of torque. It’s also has a great power range way above the 117. I just had the CAT deleted and Reinhardt mufflers placed on it and it produces 127HP and 143 torque at the wheel! This will be a beast! Get it back tomorrow! Full warranty and full ESP.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts